Skylark53

Replacing "Hook" on my 211G156

Hi all, 

I just received a Chinese replacement hook assembly that I bought online. I was told it fitted my 211G156 sewing machine. it's a beautiful piece of machined excellence... BUT this looks like an installation for an expert because of the timing involved between the needle, the bobbin, the hook... etc..

The reason I decided to replace this piece is that the screws to tighten the bobbin tension were frozen solid on my old hook and could only compensate so much with the upper tension to get a good seem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have the Service Manual and the Parts List for my 211G156.

Skylark-53

Skylark,

Anything can happen, but I've not really seen bobbin case tension adjusting screws or bobbin case tension set screws so tight that they cannot be removed.  You may want to try and use the new bobbin case in the old hook?

Gregg, 

The problem may not be that the adjustment screws are too tight but rather that the slots in the screw heads are worn and the angle the screwdriver has to be in to actually contact the worn screw heads.

I was also asking how technically difficult it would be to synchronise the new hook.

Thanks for your response.

Skylark53

The easiest thing to do is remove the bobbincase & then you can get to the screws easier.There's a plate w/2 screws on it(better get some tweezers so you don't drop them) remove the screws then the plate & slowly spin the machine around until you can wiggle it out(leave the machine there & the bobbincase will slide right back in.Be sure to get that little square tab of metal underneath the needle plate when you reinstall it.

13 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

There's a plate w/2 screws on it(better get some tweezers so you don't drop them)

I have a little magnetized screwdriver that I use for this - Also, a REALLY strong pair of reading glasses, so I can see them :unsure:

16 hours ago, Skylark53 said:

Gregg, 

The problem may not be that the adjustment screws are too tight but rather that the slots in the screw heads are worn and the angle the screwdriver has to be in to actually contact the worn screw heads.

I was also asking how technically difficult it would be to synchronise the new hook.

Thanks for your response.

Skylark53

If you want to change it,take the needle plate & feed dog off & the bobbin case opening lever,loosen the 2-screws on the gear & it pulls out,be careful that the gear doesn't fall out because if you put the point of the hook back in the way it came out ,your slot on the new hook will line up so when you tighten the screws it'll still be in time.Then you turn it around & make sure the point of the hook doesn't hit the needle,if it does you can bend the hook guard(piece of metal just under point of hook held on w/2 screws) out alittle to push the needle away.