Sign in to follow this  
Studio-N

Introduction

Hello. I've lurked in my heart, but now I've gone and joined up.

I had a request to post one of my lasered pictures. Unfortunately I lost a lot of the pictures

in a recent lightning strike that took out my PC. However, here is a little one of the Duke.

It is 8x11 on 3/4 oz veggy tan.

Excellent! Welcome to the board.

Welcome. Looking forward to more of your work.

Welcome Nick,

Thanks for posting the pic, it looks real good. What type of leather is it done on? And how well can it be dyed or stained once lasered?

Ken

hello and welcome to the site, thats very interesting and looks realy cool could you explain how you did it, Don

Welcome home.

Hi Nick

Great looking stuff. You got more that wasn't fried? Post as many as you have.

Were you teaching classes this past Saturday?

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Hello. Let me give some of the technical details:

This is done on VegTan. There isn't a big need to go deep, so I can usually use thin leather. My favorite is about a 2 oz calfskin, but 3/4 oz is cheaper. The laser is a burning instrument, so something called 'smoke-damage' tends to occur and we try to minimze it. Essentially, it is smoke and residue that is pulled across the leather by the vacumn, and tends to get stuck in the pores of the leather. I prefer to apply a layer of NeatLac first to seal the leather. Any smoke damage that occurs can then be cleaned up with Lemon Pledge.

Lasering, is basically an advanced form of stippling. Black pixels are burned, white pixels are left alone. you have a lot of control over how deep to burn or cut, but just enough power to break the grain side (about 20 watts of power) is all that is needed. Because we have broken through the grain side, any dye or stain will absorb identically to the flesh side of the leather. That being the case, it would be better to color the leather before the engraving. I prefer to let it tan naturally due to UV light. the contrast of light/dark tends to remain, but the application of an antique finish would definately bring out some interesting highlights.

I have heard that some production saddle makers are using laser engravers to speed up the carving by laying down the patterns for carving. It is pretty good for that, but my experience is that it is not good for cutting into the leather. The 'channel' is very narrow which makes it difficult to bevel. Cutting all the way through tend to char the edges. But like all production tools, it is what you make of it.

peace.

Welcome Nick,

Thanks for posting the pic, it looks real good. What type of leather is it done on? And how well can it be dyed or stained once lasered?

Ken

Hello Jimmy! I loaned out some of my engraved pieces to someone doing a sales pitch in Dallas. When (if?) I get them back, I'll try to take some pictures of them.

Yeah, that was me doing a class. I finally got six people interested at the same time. I'm gonna do a few more carving classes, then break into a few project classes. Wanna sign up for my purse class?

-Nick

Hi Nick

Great looking stuff. You got more that wasn't fried? Post as many as you have.

Were you teaching classes this past Saturday?

Keep on Smilin

Jim

If that's Mongomery Alabama you are talkin' about, I'm interested in classes (especially carving). Tell us more about the purse class also.

Hi Nick

Yeah, I'll sign up for any of your classes. Just let me know when, I know where.

You should also post some of the other stuff you've done. Bet it would get you some more signed up for classes.

Jim

Wellcome to the site!

Sometimes I use the laser printer for to mark the guidelines (like a transfer) in the leather for carving it after but I don't got that a "photo printed" with laser await more than six months.