Tstop64

What Adler is this??

Hi guys and girls

I recently came into possession of this vintage sawing machine.  It seems to be turning well but I have no idea how to 

thread the machine and what needs to be done to make it work, without cousing damage to it.  Do I have to oil it before use?

Any info would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark from Prague

IMG_9910.jpg

Hi Mark, here is a link where you can download a manual for the singer 45k.

your machine looks like a Adler 5-6 which are copy´s

of the singer 45k so threading is the same. you should oil your machine before using but if it is moving ok the you wont do any harm to it. in the manual you can see where to oil and on the bottom arm look for all moving parts and holes. looks like your thread is a little too thin,  3 cord, T210 or Tkt15 bonded nylon and a nº 23 needle should get you sewing if there is no problems with the machine? did the previous owner have it sewing??

I can send you ca PDF copy of the original German manual. Send me a PM with your email address if you are interested.

Machine is missing the pre tension / thread guide for the bobbin winder -  or maybe it in the drawer. Machine has no reverse - but thats not a too big issue ;)

Hi guys,

thanks heaps for all the info, much appreciated, 

the machine is running well, I'm just being cautious as I don't want to mess up an old beauty.

I was given tons of spares, needles and threads as well, shaping bones and sumsuch, so looking 

forward to getting this old lady to sing again.  

Cheers

Mark

Hi guys

in the manual there's an oil reservoir where the thread passes through.  What kind of oil was used for that and is that necessary with modern threads?

Thank you

Mark

Hi guys,

thanks again,  what did they use to waterproof the threads?

Cheers

Mark

5 hours ago, Tstop64 said:

Hi guys,

thanks again,  what did they use to waterproof the threads?

Cheers

Mark

Liquid bees wax or other compounds that get into the linen fibers and harden after they dry. When I had Union Lockstitch machines I used Ceroxylon from Puritan Industries (the makers of Puritan chainstitch post and cylinder arm needle and awl machines). It is a clear liquid wax that air dries and locks the stitches and fills the holes when it dries.

Thanks for that,

Much appreciated.

Mark

there also SELARIS or FRANKEL stitching wax. Not sure where to get it on the continent but I think a Fiebings dealer should have FRANKELS. But nowadays most folks either use pre waxed thread (linen mostly) or polyester like SERAFIL so the wax pot often left unused.