Canadianrunner

Gluing leather and fabric

I'm making a book cover and am trying to glue some fabric to the inside of the cover.     I used my normal cement and it just bled through the fabric as I was afraid might happen.  This caused discoloring and doesn't look professional. 

Have any of you found an acceptable way to glue leather and fabric together?   I know I can sew the fabric around the edges but that wouldn't allow the fabric to remain stuck to the leather as the cover moves. 

Thanks!

I have successfully used HeatnBond UltraHold Iron-On Adhesive (ordered from Amazon) to glue fabric to leather. You iron the fabric onto the back of the leather. There will be no bleed-through.

612qpEEFyOL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I tried this exact same thing yesterday.

For my test pieces, I used a section of cotton drill and a section of poplin, which is (apparently) a lighter cotton type of cloth. These were adhered to a piece of 4.5mm vegtan.

I tried a section of contact adhesive and a section of Titebond lll PVA, with a piece of flat acrylic and heavy weight on top of the test pieces.

The contact bleed through the lighter 'colour and weight' material, and was a definite fail. The Titebond lll PVA did not bleed through.

The heavier cotton drill, which was a darker camo pattern, did not bleed through at all.

Interestingly, neither adhesive appeared to affect the flexibility of the leather, but I did notice where I had applied the Titebond lll past where the cloth covered, the dried Titebond lll cracked when the leather was flexed.

I used Carpet spray, the tin is used by carpet fitters to stick carpet or underlay to the floor, did not seep through using polyester/cotton mix onto veg tan

Only needed to spray the veg tan side with yellow tape over edges not requiring to be stuck

Edited by chrisash

5 hours ago, Canadianrunner said:

I'm making a book cover and am trying to glue some fabric to the inside of the cover.     I used my normal cement and it just bled through the fabric as I was afraid might happen.  This caused discoloring and doesn't look professional. 

Have any of you found an acceptable way to glue leather and fabric together?   I know I can sew the fabric around the edges but that wouldn't allow the fabric to remain stuck to the leather as the cover moves. 

Thanks!

Carpet spray will work but there is a contact spray version too you might like better. When using spray adhesive you should hold the can away from your work about 8” to end up with a cobweb type of finish on both pieces that way you will not have any bleed through. With contact spray, let both pieces dry to touch and press together like normal contact. I use large amounts of spray adhesive in my day job. It works very well.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, KingsCountyLeather said:

Carpet spray will work but there is a contact spray version too you might like better. When using spray adhesive you should hold the can away from your work about 8” to end up with a cobweb type of finish on both pieces that way you will not have any bleed through. With contact spray, let both pieces dry to touch and press together like normal contact. I use large amounts of spray adhesive in my day job. It works very well.

Thanks so much. I've started looking at some.   Is there a brand that you. prefer over the other?   

I am using 2 different types of leathers, bison - which stretches, and another type (trade secret....) that is very thin about 1.5 oz.  I am trying to use one on each side for parts of the design.  I have found that using adhesive makes the thin leather dimple especially where it folds.   My idea was to use an interfacing between then two.  So would I just be using interacing (probably heat n bond) instead of any type of adhesive?  I will be hand sewing and using fenice edge paint as well.  This is for wallets and other small items.  Other parts of the design I will use adhesive.