Sign in to follow this  
D2G

Searching a guide of stamps for leather.

Hi!

I'm searching on Internet (unsuccessfully) for a complete or very extensive guide to the samples of stamp impressions on the leather and its reference code or number; I enclose a photo of what I'm looking for so that they understand me.
So, does it exist, is there an extensive guide?
Thank you.

c75e65c782a1eeced861a9bb949ec516.jpg

Tandy has a list of stamps of old and the current alternatives.  I think it’s under Tandy’s website.

Maybe these are the charts you want:
This is a link to the Craftool conversion chart, showing the old and new numbers for various tools. It's an 8 page PDF file: <https://www.tandyleather.com/media/downloads/CraftoolConversionChart.pdf>

This is a link to the current Tandy Online Catalog. This Craftool Stamps Catalog View also shows 2 sets of numbers for various tools: <https://www.tandyleather.com/en/eflyer/craftool-stamps-fullpage>

Edited by DJole

Thanks. I have this pdf's. No, I mean an catalog with demonstration of every stamp in use and for what that is use normally, like the Pic I attached.

3 hours ago, D2G said:

Thanks. I have this pdf's. No, I mean an catalog with demonstration of every stamp in use and for what that is use normally, like the Pic I attached.

The photos you have attached are specific to the author's patterns.  Many tooling patterns identify stamps by the number on the author's tools.  There are so many patterns that no one is going to try to publish them all in one reference, plus it would require copyright approvals from many people.

Many stamps can be used for multiple purposes and interchanged with others for slightly different effects.  Often users will look at other similar stamps to what is shown in a pattern so they can find one close enough to avoid having to search for and purchase another stamp.  (There are always more stamps we would like to collect, but there is a practical limit to that, especially if you think you have to have the identical stamp someone else uses or prescribes.

There are many stamp makers, each with their own numbering system and patterns.  You will not find a guide that lists all stamps and how to use them.  Many artists pick the styles they like and how they adapt them to their carvings.  An example is a camouflage tool.  It may be used on the stems and scrolls in Sheridan type carvings, or as a boarder stamp.  To each his own. 

There are generic instructions for various types of tools in some booklets from Tandy.

The Leather Craft Handbook by Tony and Kay Laier

Basic Leatherwork by Paul Burnett

Lucky Seven Foto Carve Patterns and Instructions for Carving Leather

These are useful for beginners.

Tom

Oh, and the letter parts are not what you need to give the cashiers if you’re calling in an order. The number you’re looking for to ensure ease of purchase is going to start either with a 6, a 66, or a 68. And although most of them end in 00, a few of them that are pairs or left/right stamps end in -01,-02, -001, or -002. 

Sometimes you might get lucky and find someone who has aaaaalll the letters and number sequences memorized, but kindness asks for the 6.....-... number.

Understood @Northmount

Thanks for you very complet explanation.

Thanks to all.

Edited by D2G