Squilchuck

Avoiding machine stitching hypnosis

I can't machine stitch for more than a 4-5 inches before the repetitive movement nearly hypnotizes me! I have to stop and refocus for a few seconds before proceeding,  or else my stitch line wanders. Does this happen to you?  Any way to avoid it without stopping to refocus? I wonder if a different light would help?  --John

You may find some lights flicker at a very high rate and that plus the needle movement may be causing or at least contributing to your problem, so worth a trial i would have thought, also slow down the sewing machine speed may help

On longer runs, I sometimes go into soft focus, too. I don't have "the" answer, but here's what helps me: 

I sometimes lean in too close, especially at the beginning of a run, so I make sure I'm in ideal range for my bifocal lenses. This usually that puts me in a better sitting posture as well.

I try consistently to relax my eyes, which seem to get too locked in at these soft-focus moments.

Along that line, and as obvious as this sounds, I make sure to blink. Making deliberate slow blinks routinely at these times helps me avoid the problem or refocus rapidly when I come out of the blink.

I try to remember to focus on objects farther away every few minutes. During those times, I make sure to move my eyes from side to side, and up and down.

As I write these tips, I think I recall learning most of them during a speed-reading course many years ago. 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I'm eager to hear what others suggest. 

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I count the stitches as I sew them. I also move the light around from time to time and move my head for a different line of sight of the stitch line.

On long runs, like belt edges, the edge guide does all the work and I just sit back and guide the belt against it.

I used to sew dozens of the same thing in one sitting. Moving my head, body and fingers all helped me to stay alert.

It is harder to concentrate if your hands and eyes are the edge guide.

Im so worried about going off the line, I don't have to worry about spacing out. When I sew long straight runs, I use the edge guide and trust the "force";

I thought it's just me. If I go slow - all is good. If I want to go faster - my eyes focus on a needle and I stop seeing whole thing :0