Russ498

How to stiffen a notebook cover

I have someone who wants to order a number of notebook covers for a standard 8.5" x 11" pad. I know how to stiffen the leather by soaking in warm water but I would like to sew something in between the leather and a lightweight lining to stiffen it. Any ideas???

Also, does anyone have any idea where to get the spring clips that hold the pad of paper in?? I may just go with a leather flap where you slide the cardboard in but I would prefer to have the clip.  

Thanks all

You can buy a large sheet of bag stiffener from Tandy - it’s pretty inexpensive.

easiest way to obtain binder spring clips may be to buy a couple of cheap binder notebooks at the dollar store and remove the clips.

Gary

Most notebooks use varying forms of pressed cardboard for their liners, and you can buy sheets of it in the thickness you like from most any art store.  Also, you might look at Ohio Travel Bag for your clips.

If you want to go really cheap on the stiffener, I salvage cardboard from cereal boxes! 

I use it for patterns, too.

23 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That is the type clip I am looking for.  I may try gluing the clipboard to the leather.

You can use all sorts of things. Thick poster board is ok. The cereal box and bag stiffener ideas are good too.

I've used Matt board with success. I cut it a bit smaller than the dimensions of the cover and then beveled/skived the edges of the Matt board to have a nice raised effect and smooth transition to the edge of the cover.. this is glued to the inside of the cover then the cover is lined. I glue it with the bevel facing the inside of the book so the raised effect is on the lining and the outside stays flat.

Edited by Stetson912