DMCB00

Glueing to wood

Hello, I'm looking for some advice for gluing leather to wood. 

I have an oak box that I'd like to glue one side of a leather case to, so that when opened, the backside is securely attached to the oak. I've used Tandy's eco flo leathercraft glue for the moment, but it feels like it could come apart a little down the road. 

I've attached an image of the project if that helps make it clearer. 

Does anyone know of a better glue or a better method of attaching the leather to the box? Any advice would be welcome! 

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Nice. You could use nails or upholstery tacs. They come in different styles. I'm sure you could find something to match the style of the box 

A higher quality contact cement should hold.  Read the label and follow the directions.  Don't stick together until both surfaces are dry.  You may need 2 coats on the leather if it absorbs all the cement.  Thin coats are better than heavy.  Good quality contact cement will grab as soon as you bring the 2 surfaces together.  No chance to re-position if you get it wrong.

Press, use a roller, or tap with a hammer to get good contact and adhesion.

I also like the idea of upholstery tack/nails.  The decorative style.

Tom

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

A higher quality contact cement should hold.  Read the label and follow the directions.  Don't stick together until both surfaces are dry.  You may need 2 coats on the leather if it absorbs all the cement.  Thin coats are better than heavy.  Good quality contact cement will grab as soon as you bring the 2 surfaces together.  No chance to re-position if you get it wrong.

Press, use a roller, or tap with a hammer to get good contact and adhesion.

I also like the idea of upholstery tack/nails.  The decorative style.

Tom

What Tom said :)