JJN

What Landis is this?

I am not connected to this CL listing in any way.

I stumbled on this machine this morning. It is $500 and located near Salem, Oregon.

I don't know anything about these big stitchers, but I know some are wanted by members here.

https://salem.craigslist.org/atq/d/leather-sewing-machine/6755422647.html

landis.jpg

It's a Landis #1,should sew to almost 1" of leather,the smallest needles you can get right know is #230 which is for #346 thread.Parts are real hard to find BUT it's built so good you might not need any.The needle plate is the most common thing you might need & they aren't real hard to make.The needles sell for $3.50 ea.(needle)

Yep, as Bob said it's a #1. If it has a bobbin and turns I'd do it for $500. The bobbin cases are scarce though and will likely cost you more than $500 for a good one. Of note is the base is the full treadle base with that big wheel. That was an option that is hard to find.

Is there actually remnants of red paint  on that machine?!  I heard one time that the last of these machines made were red, but I've never seen any with red paint, so I thought I'd either misunderstood, dreamed it, or the guy who told me that didn't know what he was talking about.  If it is indeed true, and this machine does have some of the original red paint left, then it is a real late model machine, and if I was anywhere near it I'd probably snatch it up in a heartbeat.  I'd like to know the serial number on it.  

I talked to the person selling it. He is the son of the man who used it. I'll talk to him again tomorrow when he is at the machine. I have him looking for shuttles and bobbins. I don't have any room for this thing but maybe I can help someone who is interested in buying it.

Edited by JJN
Typo

Go get it Big Sioux..haha..you know you want another one! If I buy another right now my biz partner will kill me.

15 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

Go get it Big Sioux..haha..you know you want another one! If I buy another right now my biz partner will kill me.

The next one is going to have to go in my house, because my shop is full, my garage is full, and a building on my dad's place has more machines in it than he would like.  Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I've had a heavy stitcher in my living room.  I even had one in my bedroom for a couple years!  

Nice! About half of what I gave for mine!  I'd love to have it, but I'd be sleeping out in the shop with it if I brought it home!

John