craig h

Tiger Thread Twist

How do I avoid tiger thread from twisting and lay flat while hand stitching? I seem to have the thread lay twisted in the groove sometimes..is it just me?

Thanks....Craig

When I sew, I have to release the needles every once in a while and straighten the thread. If I don’t, it twists and snarles and then I have to untangle it.

As you do the saddle stitch there is a tendency to slightly turn or twist the needles, eventually the thread itself becomes twisted. The answer is simple, as ScoobyNewbie has stated - just let go of the needles and let the thread hang free, and allow it to unwind

About 18 months ago I went to a lecture & demonstration by Nigel Armitage. On his recommendation I made two simple, cheap changes that have improved my stitching

I changed from Tandy 'big eye' needles to John James size 002

I no longer use a stitching groover, I just mark the line of the stitching with dividers, then, as before,  follow it with a stitching chisel and/or an awl. My dividers were £2-50 from the secondhand tool stall at my local market

To take this one step further, figure out which way you’re twisting on each side and build an untwist motion into each stitch.  Took a while to figure it out, but I have changed how I grab each needle and give them an opposite twist every few stitches.

It's been awhile, but the last time I hand sewed I slowed way down. I took the time to straighten each thread before inserting the needle into the hole. And then, was very careful at the end of the pull making sure the final bit caused the thread to lay flat.

It took some extra time, but it did work.

I'm sure Mike's idea is much faster.

679CCD3D-9734-4609-AD74-A5D2DEB507B5.jpeg

Edited by bikermutt07

I also found that with Tiger thread, when you tamp the stitch down, that "twist" can disappear.  Otherwise, yeah frustrating.  I enjoy my linen threads for this reason as well:  I don't have the issue since they are round!

YinTx

I find that at the end of each stitch that I pull tight, I then roll the left hand needle very slightly anti clockwise, this takes out the twist, you don't need to roll both threads, as when you do the next stitch you roll the left one again, which was on the right.