Timekeeper

Landis #1 lock stitch machine

Good Morning.

I am the new owner of a Landis lock stitch machine. Late 1800's production I was told

This machine came with one needle marked Landis 3.  It is a bit over 3 inches long.

What size thread fits this needle?  My main use will be for making knife sheaths less than 1/2 inch thick with 3 pieces of leather.

I would like a smaller needle but I have not been able so far to find a supplier.

Thanks for any advise.

Kevin.

Edited by Northmount
Added #1 to the title

Do you have pictures of your machine?  I am thinking it I probably a Landis #1, originally referred to as a Regular Landis Lockstitch Machine.  The number on the needle refers to the size of the needle, and is an original Landis needle.  Needles for these machines are more difficult to get than in bygone days.   I believe Aaron Martin in Canada has needles.  You will want a size 200 to use with a 277 or 346 thread.  It is also important to have a needle guide bushing that fits the needle correctly, or you will not be able to do nice work.  Owing to the length of the needle, there is a lot of opportunity for deflection, and the guide bushing helps reduce that.  Make sure to oil all movie parts very well before attempting to use the machine.  More damage is done by careless and unknowledgeable operation than is done by proper use.  Also, try to get a manual for your machine.  Do a search for Regular Landis Lockstitch Machine or Landis #1, and it should turn up something.  Shop Talk may have manuals.  I have some I could copy if you aren't in a hurry.

Thanks for the reply!

I have acquired a manual from a fellow member.  Very nice guy to deal with 

The machine works well as is. The needle and thread are just too big for the work I will be doing.

Is Aaron Martin an individual or a business?

Yes...it is a Landis #1. I will have to adjust my settings to upload a picture.

Kevin.

1 hour ago, Timekeeper said:

I will have to adjust my settings to upload a picture.

Note there are limits on file size.  Many people go directly to upload without paying attention to the file size.  You can reduce the file size to 800 x 600 pixels and will be able to post many photos in the same post.

Tom

3 hours ago, Timekeeper said:

Both I believe.  They have a website and the needles will be listed under the machine parts for a Pearson #6, since both machines take the same needles.  They list a #160 Wich I feel is too small for all but the very tightest of these machines, and then I think the sizes jump to a #200.  It's unfortunate that there are no #180 needles left for these machines, because I think a lot of them could get along with that size and do pretty decent work.  I suppose it was a popular size and that's why there are none.  It takes something like an order of 10k needles to get anyone to make them.  That's a substantial cash outlay for just one size of a needle for machines that are becoming more obsolete with every Chinese machine sold. Unfortunate.

4 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Both I believe.  They have a website and the needles will be listed under the machine parts for a Pearson #6, since both machines take the same needles.  They list a #160 Wich I feel is too small for all but the very tightest of these machines, and then I think the sizes jump to a #200.  It's unfortunate that there are no #180 needles left for these machines, because I think a lot of them could get along with that size and do pretty decent work.  I suppose it was a popular size and that's why there are none.  It takes something like an order of 10k needles to get anyone to make them.  That's a substantial cash outlay for just one size of a needle for machines that are becoming more obsolete with every Chinese machine sold. Unfortunate.

I just got a package of 180 needles for my Pearson # 6  so they are still available.

Where did you get them?

glenn

13 hours ago, catskin said:

I just got a package of 180 needles for my Pearson # 6  so they are still available.

Yes I would like to know also.  I've never seen any.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:08 PM, Timekeeper said:

Kevin.

It is a Mennonite owned harness business in Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada. https://aaronmartin.com/

6 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Yes I would like to know also.  I've never seen any.

Since they seem so rare and I only have a hundred of various sizes for my pearson I think I will not give out my source until I get some more.  I will have to find out if I might have gotten the last of NOS in size 180 since the package is different from the ones of the other sizes I ordered.  They are NOT schmetz. They are in a plain package with no company name only the name of the seller so likely were bought in a huge quantity and repacked at the seller. I will have to take a very strong magnifying glass to see if there is a company name on the needles.  Schmetz is NOT on them ,so far all I have made out is a number and what looks like a logo.

Stay tuned.

Don't blame you.  I have a few suppliers I don't give their names out either.

glenn

If they are marked 180, they aren't NOS.  

3 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

If they are marked 180, they aren't NOS.  

The package that the seller put them in says 180, with a micrometer they measure the same as 180 for my Adler.  Will have to look on them to see if they have 180 or the old number.