BR79

Not gay, but I'm seriously into leather ;P

Hello all good folks in the LW community!  I hope my title didn't offend anyone, as it is just a silly fun meme, I just came up with ;P

I'm half from Spain, half from Norway.. Living in the coldest of the two at the moment. There's little to nothing of tools and hides to get here, so eBay was the only reasonable choice. I guess I pass the first rule of the biz.. Patience!, Cause oh boy I have to have quite some, to wait 3 weeks or more for the next thing I need, when I first discover that I need it, instead of visiting nearest Tandy.

I'm totally newbie, have just started my first leather project after buying some materials on ebay. A 3D skull jacket!! Haha, I wish.. but no.. for the first project I decided to make a bookmark for my grandma (the only one reading enough to deserve one). 

So this is what I've done so far.. I know, close to nothing, but I'm waiting for stuff to arrive.  I decided to go for that design, and will be stamping a K in the lower part and some stamping pattern in the higher part.

Will get a Fiebing's pro dye, a finish antique, tan-kote or carnauba, and also will burnisglh the sides.

Anything I'm missing?

rps20190109_103542.jpg

Welcome and enjoy this hobbie, unfortunatly it can often get quite expensive as the more you read on forums like this one the more items you find you must have :lol:

We are all gay for leather. Lol

Check out a company called Wuta. They have some quality stuff at reasonable prices and they ship worldwide. It does take a minute to receive your orders, but they are great to work with. They are on Amazon and eBay.

Keep having fun.

Search Google for 'Goods Japan' They have a wide range of tools and materials, and will ship worldwide

Prices are reasonable and include shipping, though there may be some import duty or handling charge at your own country

Delivery time is about 3 weeks

Search YouTube for 'leather work', there are loads of videos

and you need to be open minded if you search Google for ".... I'm seriously into leather" :lol:

However, there are parts of the forum that may help there too....

Welcome on board

H

Welcome! As you learned already, keep a good distance from your corners when making holes. Keep asking questions and posting pics and we'll have you up and running in no time!

:deadsubject:

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Edited by BR79
duplicate

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Welcome and enjoy this hobbie, unfortunatly it can often get quite expensive as the more you read on forums like this one the more items you find you must have :lol:

I will take a photo of everything I have.. (quite a lot already) later today or tomorrow, and put it here just for fun/laughs ? ;)

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

We are all gay for leather. Lol

Check out a company called Wuta...

got my leather and waxed thread from Wuta on ebay :)

39 minutes ago, zuludog said:

Search Google for 'Goods Japan' 

Will do thx. And yeah YouTube has been my source of apprenticeship already. Got to love how EASY it is to get started in leather craft, and all you need are these basic tools!

20 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

and you need to be open minded if you search Google for ".... I'm seriously into leather" :lol:

However, there are parts of the forum that may help there too...

Haha, indeed!

I might start making some kinky stuff when I'm sure what I'm doing ;P

6 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Welcome! As you learned already, keep a good distance from your corners when making holes. Keep asking questions and posting pics and we'll have you up and running in no time!

Thx, I will.

BTW, on making holes. It took more force than I usually thought, and next time I will account for that little indent the tool makes. 

I'm a sucker for details, I might think over something for weeks if it creeps on me, but the good thing I guess, is that my stuff will show that too (not now, but more in future stuff)

How was Wuta's leather. I haven't had any. I always just buy tools.

46 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

How was Wuta's leather. I haven't had any. I always just buy tools.

i bought small pieces (20 x 30 cm) of crazy horse for about $6 (SGD) each .. waiting to receive as I accidentally chose sea freight from China.. now most of my hardware (not tools) come from wuta..

11 hours ago, zuludog said:

Search Google for 'Goods Japan' They have a wide range of tools and materials, and will ship worldwide

Prices are reasonable and include shipping, though there may be some import duty or handling charge at your own country

Delivery time is about 3 weeks

@BR79compare goodsjapan's pricing to leathercrafttools.com .. both are from japan .. have similar stuff.. but pricing differs as goodsjapan seem to factor in shipping into their pricing already, whereas LCT doesnt, and allows you to choose EMS or normal at the end