KAW

Rawhide braiding

you have a great talent for the braiding my friend... I am very impressed with your work

Hey KAW, I really enjoyed your work. Great braiding! Where are you located? I'd love to visit with you. Do you know Nate or Leland? I am always looking to meet with braiders and visit about braiding and tack.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Wake up and Live!
Bob Marley

Do you skin the animals and make your own rawhide, too? Beautiful braids and knots. Welcome to leatherworker.net!

Johanna

Alan, I know Nate but have only met Leland one time. I live in northwest South Dakota now, where are you located?

Johanna, I make all my own rawhide. I will be making some more hides in the near future I will post some pictures if anybody is interested. I am self taugh through books many hours alone and many mistakes and alot af ruined hides and projects.

KAW, I'm in Texas near Dallas. I could see Nate's influence in some of your gear. I did the TCAA thing with Nate a few years back. I REALLY like how you attach your popper to the quirt and the romal! Have you ever been to the TCAA shows in OKC? This year it is Sept. 29th. I suggest that everyone that can make it go! It features some of the very best gear makers in the US and Canada. Saddles, Rawhide, Bits and Spurs and Silversmiths. Lots to see and learn. Hopefully, I'll be there too.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

They say "Only the fittest of the fittest shall survive" Stay alive!
Bob Marley

Alan, more of Oretagas influence than Walds but with my own flare. I lived north of Nate for about six years but never did get together with him about braiding went to acouple of ropins at his place but mostly just talked with him when I would see him in town. That is the way I attach all my poppers it keeps it from flopping allover and people really like it so I stuck with it so if you see a popper like tha I most likely made it. That is the only way I do it any more.Here is a fancy headstall I made in 2003,and a damascus Bit I forged acouple of years ago to complete the set in the picture.

4_383_1.jpg

1_019.jpg

1_021.jpg

headstall_and_bit_003.jpg

headstall_and_bit_009.jpg

headstall_and_bit_002.jpg

headstall_and_bit_006.jpg

headstall_and_bit_005.jpg

c.jpg

Sorry I hit the wrong button and it came up twice. :o

post-3140-1186444672_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186444761_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186444824_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186444885_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186444946_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186445021_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186445078_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186445131_thumb.jpg

post-3140-1186445411_thumb.jpg

KAW, you really need to look into getting involved in the Traditional Cowboy Arts Assoc.. I would be surprised if you were not qualified for membership. It would give you a place to showcase your talents and let a lot more people see the quality of braiding that you are producing. A few yrs. back they had a round table with braiders from Argentina. You'd have loved that! Nate, Leland and Mike Beaver hosted it and braiders like Vince Donely, Jeff Minor, Jay Palm (Ortega's only student) Sharon Paulin, Ray Huffman etc. etc. were there. The guests of honor were 2 braiding masters from Argentina that showed some of their techniques with us. 90 strand braids on knife handles, a girth that took over 1 year to braid, a flat braid called the 'trenza patria' (Argentina's national braid) were among the things featured and Nate and Leland visited them the next year and then Nate braided the Santa Ynez set of reins that were featured in the Western Horseman that were wrongly attributed to Leland and labeled traditional California style! They featured an Argentine pattern called 'farolito' that makes little lanterns for buttons. VERY COOL! Everyone here should look at your braiding and the close ups to see the tightness of the braid, the evenness of the interweaves, the straightness of the braid and the creativity in the design. These are the things that set custom gear and custom gear makers far above the masses! I've got another HERO!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

p.s. What does KAW stand for?

Oh why can't we roam this open country?
Bob Marley

Awesome braiding. I have no idea what most of your horse gear is but that doesn't stop me from admiring your work.

Thank you all for the comments

Alan I went to that deal and saw some very nice braiding I know Vince well and have talked to Huffman alittle at Sheridan and Jordan Valley and Sharon in OK she does some intresting knots Jeff came to a little braiding gathering at Vinces place acouple of years ago, that was a fun day Vince demonstrated how he makes his hides it was a good day to learn different ways of doing things. IMO Vince is the most consistant and straightest braider I've ever seen his work inspires me more than any other braider including Ortega and Vinces boy is doing some nice work and is only 15 or 16. I told him he better be doing good work you only have the best teacher as a dad. This is what KAW stands fored.jpg

post-3140-1186460861_thumb.jpg

Ok Kevin, I'd have to agree with you about Vince and consistency but I think Nate is learning some neat things in Argentina and he has managed to incorporate them into what we do over here nicely. Vince is also the fastest braider out there and he really cranks out those bosals but does not sacrifice quality for speed. Have you cooked a hide like Vince does? I have a print out of the style of knots Sharon does she and Ray learned them from Ed Pass if you are interested when I get home I can scan them and email them to you. Sounds like I probably met you in OK too, I was the only Black guy there so I'm a little noticeable. When I met Vince's son he wasn't doing much braiding but Nate's son had made a set of reins so I was teasing Vince's boy that he better get to braiding, LOL, I'm glad to here he is doing some now and I'm sure he probably can already put me to shame! I'll tell you seeing your work has inspired me too! At any rate I'm sure we will run into each other some day.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

The sun shall not smite I by day nor the moon by night!
Bob Marley

Alan,

I make 95% of my hides that way now, it can be alittle tricky once in awhile but I really like the way they turn out and are alot less messy, most all the calf hides I make I still lime them, they make good fine button strings, the hide in the picture is cooked. Were you at the Sheridan show with Ray a few years back? Nate does some nice work. I am working on a knife I forged that I'm going to braid the handle on I will post some pics when I finish it.

Edited by KAW

KAW, I Haven't made it to the Sheridan show yet but hope to someday. I have a video of Vince explaining his rawhiding technique I will have to review. I also visited with Dale and Rod a little about what tree makers do to make rawhide and it seems to take a little less time. I had heard about it from a deer tanning standpoint but had not tried it. It uses a chemical that is normally used in processing photographs and I was thinking of trying it next. Have you done it? Can't think of the chemical name right now but it is easily found at camera shops.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Yes, I've been abused many a time and wrongly accused now. But, through the powers of the MOST HIGH they've got to turn me loose
Bob Marley Edited by Alan Bell

Alan,

I've never tried it that way. I'll be making a hide tomorrow, I'll take some pictures.

KAW,

Since you control the quality of the rawhide you work with from start to finish, do you think that makes it better quality than what is available commercially, or is it more economical to do it yourself? Your work is so precise and meticulous, and I am really glad you shared pictures with us. I like the way you use the knots in your braids for function as well as aesthetics.

Johanna

Johanna,

I like to make my own rawhide so I can get the quality I want, I use grass fat hides and this way I know where the hides are comeing from and I can get the size I need for certain projects, different breeds of cattle produce different rawhide as in the thickness, shades of color and grain structure. I use mostly Hereford and Longhorn hides. It is not very expensive to make your own hides, just labor intensive, and you get the satisfaction of taking a raw natural material and creating something useful and funtional as well as a little artistic. The first thing in making quality horse gear is the function, after that you can play with the aesthetics but the piece must fit and function correctly above all!!

Kevin does excellent braiding, likely top 1-3 i have seen and it is working gear.

Toodles

Kevin or Alan

I have been thinking about getting Brian Neubert's video on braiding so I can start. What do you guys think of the videos? Also what would be the best to start out on? What I want to b able to end up doing is Bosal's, Romal Reins, and Reata's

Ashley

Snakehorse saddler,

I have seen the first tape Brian put out and it was mostly basic braids and knots and would be informative for you I think. The advanced one I haven't seen yet. I would start by getting your braids and simple buttons down first ( where you can do them in your sleep and as straight as an arrow) then you should learn the correct function and construction of each peice of gear you intend on making (if you don't know) if its going to be working gear( balance, lenths, ect). I'm saying this as there is alot more to making quality gear that will last than just braids and knots. You can't go wrong with any videos, books, and experences, you will learn from everything if you want to do the best you can. So I would suggest you start with the basics get them down real good then move on to bigger project whatever they may be just keep in mind that the function of the peice must be there FIRST.

Edited by KAW