Foiler

Juki 1541s Clone Bobbin Case Comparison

Hello all.

I am new here, but I have learned much by searching the forums.

My wife and I just purchased a barely-used Econosew DNU-1541s (Jukie 1541s Clone) in beautiful condition.  My wife is a very experienced sewer, and I am just learning to sew.

We recently hired an experienced technician to check over and adjust the machine, as this is our first walking-foot machine.  The technician sold us a replacement "M-size" bobbin case, as the original bobbin case's tension spring was slightly out-of-round.  The replacement bobbin case is shown on the right-hand side of the attached picture.  The original bobbin case is shown on the left - inserted into the hook's carrier.  I removed the carrier to clean and investigate.

Notice that the original bobbin case's spring latch and protrusion are oriented at 90-degrees, relative to the bobbin case opening at the 12-o'clock position.  This bobbin case inserts with a definitive "click", as the protrusion matches the notch in the hook's carrier.

In contrast, the new bobbin case's spring latch and protrusion are oriented at approximately 110-degrees, relative to the bobbin case opening.  The new bobbin case's protrusion does not match the notch in the hook's carrier.  Therefore, the bobbin case doesn't appear to lock into the carrier or onto the carrier's post.

My wife sewed an entire day with this new case, before experiencing a thread jam and needle break.  It appeared to me that the new bobbin case had rotated within the hook carrier.

My Questions:  Does Juki (and the clones) sell two styles of "M-sized" bobbin cases for their machines?  How can we ensure that we are ordering the correct bobbin case - with the latch and protrusion at 90-degrees, relative to the bobbin case opening?

I just ordered a Juki OEM bobbin case the other day, but I'm now concerned that I will be receiving the wrong style bobbin case.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dale

Clone 1541s Bobbin Case Comparison.jpg

Call your technician and tell him that he sold you the wrong part. It should be on the installer to install a correct part.

The one on the right appears to be the same as the one in my Juki 1541S (I have it in my hand) however it could be the angle of the photo but it appears to be missing the flat bluish coloured tension spring that puts pressure on the bobbin.  The one on the left maybe specific to the Consew line or someone changed it. I agree with Wiz that the mechanic should be notified and he/she has made a mistake.

kgg

Wiz & Kgg,

As a follow up:

I have contacted the technician about the part discrepancy.  He will be refunding me the purchase price, but we are both having difficulty finding the correct bobbin case P/N.  I also called MJ Foley about this, and they only show one P/N (B1837-247-S00) for the Juki DNU-1541S model.  I will be taking my "90-degree latch" bobbin case to MJ Foley tomorrow to try to match parts.

I suspect that my Juki clone is using a generic M bobbin case, like P/N BC-DBM(1)-NBL.   We will see.

Both bobbin cases pictured have the anti-backlash spring installed.  The camera angle was deceiving.

Regards,

Dale

Ask for Luke when you get there!!

glenn

Juki 1541s Clone - Bobbin Case Summary

My search for a spare "M-sized" bobbin case for my Econosew DNU-1541s has been an educational journey.

My machine and many other Chinese-manufactured, cloned Juki 1541s machines (i.e. Consew P1541S-CC, Reliable 4200SW, Yamata 1541S, etc.) share many common internal parts with the Japanese Juki.  However, the bobbin case and bobbin case carrier are not one of them.  Perhaps for patent-infringement reasons or others, the clones seemed to have chosen a more traditional design.

My Econosew DNU-1541s (and many other clones) use a generic M-sized bobbin case P/N: BC-DBM(1)

This walking foot, bobbin case design has the bobbin case latch and locking protrusion oriented at 90-degrees, relative to the elliptical bobbin case opening at the 12 o'-clock position. 

The Juki DNU-1541s uses a generic M-sized bobbin case P/N: BC-DBM(2).

This bobbin case design has the bobbin case latch and locking protrusion oriented at approx. 110-degrees, relative to the elliptical bobbin case opening at the 12 o'-clock position.

Summary:  Don't assume that your Juki 1541s Clone machine uses the same bobbin case as the original Juki 1541s.  The Juki bobbin case will "fit" in the clone's bobbin case carrier, but it will not lock.

Uwe Grosse has posted an excellent YouTube video on the subject of bobbin cases here.

Regards,

Dale

Juki DNU-1541, and DNU-1541S both use different hooks, and the same bobbin case.  

The Econosew, even if it has a safety clutch, does not have a bobbin case opening lever, like the Juki S model does.  Not a problem, in my opinion, but would indicate that they may be using a different hook and bobbin case?

Also, why not contact EconoSew in regards to this, I'm sure they are eager to help.  They love selling parts, too.

2 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

The Econosew, even if it has a safety clutch, does not have a bobbin case opening lever, like the Juki S model does.

Hello Gregg,

Perhaps the newer Econosew models have changed.

My Econosew DNU-1541s has a safety clutch, and the original bobbin case definitely has an opening lever - as pictured on the left in my first post above.  The original instructions also make note of the lever (called “gib” in manual).

Maybe my perception is wrong, but I’m detecting some sarcasm in your advice to contact Econosew (e.g. The Feit Co. in CA)

What can I say?  I purchased this machine on CL from the original owner at less than 1/3 the cost of a new Juki, so I accepted the risk of a used clone.

After replacing the original clutch motor with a servo motor, a professional tune-up, and routine oiling, it has been working and sewing great.

Kind Regards,

Dale

@Foiler, I think Gregg was referring to the part in this photo when he said 'bobbin case opening lever'. Not the latch on the bobbin case itself.

bobbin-case-opener.jpg

Thanks for the photo, JJN.

I misunderstood Gregg’s statement, if that was the lever he referred to.  I stand corrected.

My Econosew does not have the lever pictured.

Does that Juki lever assist with the removal of the bobbin case?

Thanks,

Dale

No, not this part rather this lever (sometimes called opening lever) helps move the bobbin basket & case assembly slightly.

In this its a repeated movement and the thread gains a clearance. This thread clearance is obtained directly 12:00 position of the lever you see or top of the hook area in the photo.

We can notice the thread when assembled with machine tilted back (hand turning/power off) as sewing scrap. The hook makes its revolution and the thread moves around the finger/tab slot. This is a repeated movement and regulated by the bobbin case lever mentioned.  

In short the juki 1541s  is this style requiring its own design hook and includes a safety clutch mechanisim on the shaft. The standard 1541 as mentioned and some like it, are designed with different hook design that requires no bobbin case opening lever. Also this standard Juki did not include the saftey clutch. Some of these others of late I understand do have the safety clutch mechanism on shaft.

In some extra moments, these opening levers in operation can be easier seen on the “top” loading bobbin machines. While some videos are showing the opening of that area for thread clearance and adjustments. Theres also some good reads and important info on that tab or finger with these style machines. 

Hey its Friday! Have a good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

12 hours ago, JJN said:

@Foiler, I think Gregg was referring to the part in this photo when he said 'bobbin case opening lever'. Not the latch on the bobbin case itself.

bobbin-case-opener.jpg

Sorry for any confusion, yes, this is what I was specifically referring to.  The concept of the bobbin case opening lever is to help allow for heavier thread to more easily pass through the hook position finger, also known as a hook supporting plate.  See attached pdf that I made up showing this area of the machine that I'm talking about, thanks.

Juki DNU-1541S Hook Supporting plate install and adjusting.pdf

On 1/17/2019 at 12:36 PM, Foiler said:

Dale, not sure if this helps you out but I just purchased a Thor GC-1541s and it has a Japanese hook assembly as well as the bobbin case opening lever. I think these clone machines have gotten way better over the years. I know that my new machine is ripping through leather better then my gc-0303 clone machine could. Also its not scaring the leather face from the presser foot walking across the surface. So enjoy your new/used Econosew machine. Now here is a bobbin question since this started out about bobbins  on a 1541s clone. My new Thor has the 110* offset bobbin case, same as my gc-0303, however the bobbins from the 0303 will not fit into the Thor hook pin. Using my calipers the 0303 bobbin case center hole is 4.40mm, and the Thor bobbin case center hole is 4.50mm.  When i ordered extra bobbin cases for my 0303 I just ordered type M cases and they fit and worked. Looking back perhaps I got lucky. So here is the part number I came up with that should work B1837-241-H00 which is for Juki 1541,1541s, dnu-241HS, DSC- 246. Also under this part number B1834-241-H00. No one mentions the difference in center hole diameter. This would just make it so simple. I know you may say that is what happens when you buy a clone. However its like everything else in the manufacturing world, there is no standardization. Same in the hobby world that I was a big part of meaning the Radio Control world. Anyway I hope this helps and if not I tried. If one doesn't ask then one can't learn. thanks for your time in advance

On 1/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, JJN said: