Evo160K

Using a Singer 45K25 for Darning

What would be involved in using a Singer 45K25 (bottom feed) occasionally for darning?

I'm thinking it would need at least a needle plate with just a needle hole, the feed dog removed, stitch length set to zero, the roller foot removed, a rebound spring added on the presser bar like the one shown by the arrow in the picture (it's the Singer 45K76 darning machine in the video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1MCZ138rAQ ).  Surely there's more to it.  Thank you, thank you very much.

IMG_5633.JPG

There is a tappet or roller on the cam that drives the needle bar and thread lever. This tappet / roller controls the up an down movement of the presser foot. Note the piece that is attached to the presser foot bar and to the "plunger" that goes up in and down in the large hole on top of the machine.

I think I can shoot a picture of my 34K machine as it has the similar system ... give me a few minutes... ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Hope you know what I mean ;)

Some Adler 4 / 5 / 104 / 105 and I´m sure some Singer 45K also have a roller on the cam for controlling the jump foot system on certain machines

IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Folker, thanks for the information and your pictures, they explain the issue well.  With the K25 subclass, I don't see a practical way to make it darn; the head casting doesn't have a hole for the plunger. 

Do you see any other way to darn with the K25 or the 45K53 which has individually controllable over and under feeds, the top feed is a jump foot?  Here are a couple of the K53, the foot is off in the first picture (disregard the arrows):

IMG_3924.JPGIMG_4011.JPG

Al,

Darning means that the stitch does not feed.  The needle only goes up and down and the top foot holds the items you are sewing down.  Feeding is done by moving the item you are sewing.  There is no feed dog.  What happens if you remove the feed dog, set stitch length to zero.  Now you must have a plate with only a needle hole in in and no slots for the feed dog. If you do this, machine should technically just go up and down.  Correct?

glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking like you, even mentioned it in the op, but when I tried it, I couldn't move the fabric, seems like the presser foot was always down, and large knots developed on the underside.  The foot needs a lifting mechanism, which is what Constabularly was saying above.

Yeah, it is strictly a bottom feed machine and if you remove the feed dog.  As Folker says, it needs something like a jump foot attachment you see on patchers.

What are the chances of the attachment in the video or something else working for darning?  It looks pretty slick.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_UqIpYuRg   

Here's my machine:

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5642.JPG

I haven´t darned anything yet I´m using ZZ for repairs. However, I think I will try my 34K for darning.

I think for darning you need the momentum in that the presser foot is holding down the material or you have to put the material in a embroidery / darning frame (or what ever it is called).

BTW - there was a darning attachment for Singer 29K and Adler 30 patcher machines - not sure if there ever has been one for CLAES patchers. AFAIK WIZ has one ;)

Edited by Constabulary

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I haven´t darned anything yet I´m using ZZ for repairs. However, I think I will try my 34K for darning.

I think for darning you need the momentum in that the presser foot is holding down the material or you have to put the material in a embroidery / darning frame (or what ever it is called).

BTW - there was a darning attachment for Singer 29K and Adler 30 patcher machines - not sure if there ever has been one for CLAES patchers. AFAIK WIZ has one ;)

Yes, I have darning attachments on my Singer 29k71 and Adler 30-7. I use them once in a while to get longer stitches, or to darn across tears in material. These attachments have three positions: off, medium lift and high lift. You just rotate the T shaped handle so it either hits or misses the rising needle bar.

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Yes, I have darning attachments on my Singer 29k71 and Adler 30-7. I

Wiz, are you able to post a pic or two of your darning attachments?  Thank you

Here ya go! Darning attachment.

29K_1353.jpg

29K_1354.jpg

29K_1352.jpg

I think we already talked about it a while ago but forgot about it. So the device replaces the hex screw, right? Internally I guess the "T handle" thing is spring loaded so that is stays in place while darning , right? Or does it "click" into a certain position? Can´t be too difficult to make if the Hex screw has a standard threading... will check that...

Thanks Wiz.

19 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I think we already talked about it a while ago but forgot about it. So the device replaces the hex screw, right? Internally I guess the "T handle" thing is spring loaded so that is stays in place while darning , right? Or does it "click" into a certain position? Can´t be too difficult to make if the Hex screw has a standard threading... will check that...

It is spring loaded and free turning. You just turn it to the desired position before it is hit by the needle bar. It can be mastered in about 5 standard Earth minutes.

Interesting topic.....  I have what I think is a Singer model 47 coming. Don't know the subclass as it went straight to storage and I can't see it in the pics.  It currently has a roller foot, but I want to look into if I could get it darning.  Was wondering if anyone has modified a domestic darning foot...... there are a few different ones that might work perhaps......

47.jpg