Treesner

Storing leather in small space

I like that Dwight. 

@Dwight thats a fantastic idea , fairly simple to make too . Unfortunately I don't  have the space even  for that   . 

Although I do try to keep my belt blanks hanging up wherever I can , otherwise they'll have the bad case of the ' curly wurlys ' ( as I call it,   all curled up, not lying flat )  . 

" One Powerball"....I could double...triple the size of my workshop,  I would have all the space I need.   :)  

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@Dwight thats a fantastic idea , fairly simple to make too . Unfortunately I don't  have the space even  for that   . 

Although I do try to keep my belt blanks hanging up wherever I can , otherwise they'll have the bad case of the ' curly wurlys ' ( as I call it,   all curled up, not lying flat )  . 

" One Powerball"....I could double...triple the size of my workshop,  I would have all the space I need.   :)  

If you just took a picture off the wall (or something similar), . . . used only 2 x 2's as the top, bottom and sides, . . . with only a half sheet of particle board, . . . you could still hang a dozen double shoulders inside that little space.

Vertical space is not hard to find if you just stop and look at all the possibilities.

I have one wall I'm removing next summer, . . . turning it into a storage wall, . . . as one side will be hinged, . . . opening it up to a 4 ft by 8 ft by 3 1/2 inch box, . . . 2 x 4's will be set horizontally to act as shelves, . . . I'll store a boat load of little "thingys" in there that clutter the workshop today, . . . on the wall, in boxes, on shelves.

May God bless,

Dwight

It won't do any harm to re- assess  my workshop space I guess. Put my 'thinking cap ' on  and see what space can be utilised better.   There is one part of my workshop that  I actually hate, ( I'll take a pic, although it will be embarrassing to even show it  :blush: ) 

But thanks :) 

HS 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, Dwight said:

When I built my shop, . . . I started with the idea of rolling them, . . . but it puts a permanent or at least long lasting curl in every piece of leather.

I chose to hang my leather that I'm presently using, . . . and it makes working with it a whole lot easier.

I can hang something on the neighborhood of 65 sides of 8 oz leather in my "vault" if I could afford that much.  In the one picture you can see that I have other stuff in there.

It is two 4 x 8 sheets of particle board, . . . one is nailed to a ring of 2 x 12's that make the sides, top, and bottom of the vault, . . . the other is hinged on one side.  I made arms that swing on one end, . . . so I can find the piece I'm looking for.  Have never run out of space, . . . and can find anything I'm looking for in about 30 seconds or less.

Wouldn't store mine any other way after using this.

May God bless,

Dwight

vault 1.jpg

vault 2.jpg

vault 4.jpg

thats pretty neat! do you store full hides like that? o just small pieces?

1 hour ago, Treesner said:

thats pretty neat! do you store full hides like that? o just small pieces?

Yep,  . . . sure do, . . . usually have one hanging on which I'm cutting.

I'm down in that picture, . . . was taken maybe a year ago, . . . was running out of stock.

May God bless,

Dwight