Jerr

Pen/Pencil case

I as recently approached by a church member who ive made knife pouches for and he is asking me to make him a pen/pencil/marker case for his work. The design seems simple enough but ive never run across any templates for it and am wondering if anyones made something like this and has a template or pointers. So it has to be tall enough for a pen to stand straight up inside the case and fit about 5 pens/markers. He wants it open so no need for a clasp or anything. It will have a belt loop which I already know how to apply. I am thinking I can do this out of a solid square but not sure if it is best stiched or laced. If anyone has done something like this before let me know. Thank you.

Edited by Jerr

So basically a phone slip case? 2 pieces of leather tooled as you see fit plus the belt loop.

I'd lay out 5 markers on a piece of paper and trace around them (leaving a tiny bit of space between them so they are not too tight. Then I'd trace again this time going from the pocket catch on one side to the pocket catch on the other side. Add your seam allowance and a little extra space for expansion when the pens/markers are placed in the pocket. Something like the photos I've attached.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 9.53.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 9.55.54 PM.png

If he wants individual chambers/pockets for each pen I would recommend using an overly large piece of leather, do all your dying & sealing of the backer piece for the piece except for edges. Then use some pens/pencils to wet mold over each pen, working the leather in between each pen repeatedly as it dries. You could clamp one side to use as a starting point, then just continuously working the leather to mold it to shape.  I've done it a couple times before and found that it is easier to use a larger piece over trying to figure out an exact measurement. Once it has been molded well enough, and seems to hold its shape,  I let it dry then stitch it up and then wet mold it one more time with sample pens/pencils in place and allow it to dry. 

I hope that makes some sense... it's been a long week and a long night so I may be too tired to be coherent. :)