Hairic

Just starting! Need input...

Hello everyone my name is Eric and I'm from Kansas' I recently started getting into leather work and have made a handful of items. I find it super relaxing and quite rewarding.  Just wanted to say hi and share a few small items I have done and hope to get some feed back.. I have only done a little tooling and needless to say I have allot to learn. I have made several simple wallets a single saddlebag for my Harley a bag/purse for my wife and done some scrap practice tooling. Will try and post more pics soon. Let me know what you think thanks. 

1549468198658836.jpg

1549468198539775.jpg

1549468197840936.jpg

1549468195775210.jpg

1549468197135404.jpg

Looks like you have been having lots of fun. Welcome aboard.

Looks like you have made a very healthy start. Some great looking gear there already.

Ohh yeah ... Welcome.

Thanks.. I need to post pics of my saddle bag still... Actually still need to dye it as well... I just used the last of my leather on a a sketch book I just started. What seams to be the best bang for my buck when it comes to leather.. Preferably vegtan but want to try some oil dyed leather soon as well. All tips appreciated. 

If you want to do any carving, stamping or wet-forming, AFAIK, you must have veg-tan, unless you want to open a whole new can of worms. You can get some results with heated stamps ... so I have heard.

I think what you might need, if you want pre-dyed leather is called drum dyed leather. As far as I am aware ( hopefully somebody who knows for sure will step up soon), drum dyed leather is veg-tan but dyed in the factory.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:13 AM, Rockoboy said:

As far as I am aware ( hopefully somebody who knows for sure will step up soon), drum dyed leather is veg-tan but dyed in the factory.

Oil-tanned leather is also drum dyed.