Whaleman

What do you tool your leather on?

Getting back into leather working and wondered what is the best or most practical to use to tool leather on? Back in the day I had a Poundo mat from Tandy but I’m not sure where it went. I see that Tandy sells quartz slabs to use and would they be an alright choice?

thanks.

Stone is your best option. I would check your local kitchen remodeling shop and see if they have any scrap. I was able to 12"x12" slab of sample granite for free from a local shop. All I had to do was take the other samples to the dumpster.

Edited by arashikage

Agree with granite - I use a sink cutout my neighbor gave me hen they had new countertops installed.  Check with granite suppliers and you are likely to find one that will give you a cutout for free or at least very low cost.  Thicker is better.

Gary

My tooling slab was a free piece of granite scrap. The counter makers wondered why I wanted a broken piece of granite, but it meant they didn't have to take it away. it has a nice smooth surface and a curved edge. White marble might be sexier, but my stone was free. 

I have a piece of marble that I use.  Approx 2" thick  .It was given to me  in amongst some leather tools etc.  It was  originally too big for my work bench, so I got a diamond cutting wheel  and cut it in  half. So now I have 2 pieces  .  The piece I use on my bench ,  sits on a piece of  foam carpet underlay off-cut to cushion it to reduce any noise.  The other half was once used for leather crafting demo's  carried in a old but handy size  lap-top bag. 

I also have a piece of granite that I paid about $20- for  from a stone mason. Approx  4 " thick, and over 12" square....but its so heavy I can barely lift it, and its way too heavy for my bench. I'm sure I'll find a use for it one day  :) 

HS 

I could not find any kitchen re-modelers using stone in my area, so I ended up with some 20mm (3/4inch) granite floor tiles. I have seen some of these break when somebody is really hitting it hard, so I got some tile adhesive and stuck two together, I have given it a good workout, and its still "solid as a rock".