Chief Filipino

Is this what I think it is?

Hello All! My buddy picked up this tool at an estate sale... is it what I think it is? Is this an edging tool that I can heat up the head and use to melt the beeswax into the edges of my work? Please say it is, I've been looking for one of these for so long (that didn't cost an arm and a leg). There are no markings on it, no brand name, just looks like an inexpensive old tool. If that's not what it is, any ideas what it could be? 

Thank you!

IMG_8607.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG

I'm guessing it is made to put a "bead" on the edge but I don't see why you couldn't use it the way you want.  A tool is a tool, if it suits the use.

40 minutes ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

I'm guessing it is made to put a "bead" on the edge but I don't see why you couldn't use it the way you want.  A tool is a tool, if it suits the use.

What do you mean by a bead on the edge? 

Maybe smooth edge paint  either cold or heated up depending on the method used foe edging, to wide for creasing, just my guess

That is an edge creaser.  I have several of them in various sizes, and love 'em!  It is used to place a decorative line a certain distance in from the edge of a piece of leather, mostly straps and such.  The longer leg runs along the edge, and the shorter one makes the crease.  It's a neat, attractive look.  That said, tho, you don't necessarily have to use it for what it was meant.  If the round fits over your edge, it may well do what you want!

-Bill

Edited by billybopp

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

That is an edge creaser.  I have several of them in various sizes, and love 'em!  It is used to place a decorative line a certain distance in from the edge of a piece of leather, mostly straps and such.  The longer leg runs along the edge, and the shorter one makes the crease.  It's a neat, attractive look.  That said, tho, you don't necessarily have to use it for what it was meant.  If the round fits over your edge, it may well do what you want!

-Bill

My second thought was edge creaser. Do you heat edge creaser's up to get that decorative line? If it is designed to take some heat I may  well use it to wax my edges too!

They can be used heated or cool.   Usually cool works fine, but some leathers are a little more stubborn than others and require some heat.  Here is a picture of some of my single and double creasers along with a strap example of how they're used.   Most are CS Osborne, one unbranded, I also have some Gomph and others.

20190603_095814.thumb.jpg.f959fd7c39e388f0fb540dd8149e1e71.jpg

-Bill

9 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

What do you mean by a bead on the edge? 

Billybopp answered it.  Here are more examples:

https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/push-beaders-and-bevelers

http://barrykingtools.com/handtools.htm#

15 hours ago, billybopp said:

They can be used heated or cool.   Usually cool works fine, but some leathers are a little more stubborn than others and require some heat.  Here is a picture of some of my single and double creasers along with a strap example of how they're used.   Most are CS Osborne, one unbranded, I also have some Gomph and others.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b520190603_095814.thumb.jpg.f959fd7c39e388f0fb540dd8149e1e71.jpg

-Bill

Nice! Thank you!

14 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Got it, thank you!