tallwelder

Consew textured paint reason

Recently I acquired a Consew 206, I would like to touch up the paint (powdercoat?) and possibly repaint a few parts. I not only am uncertain how to duplicate the texture (stipling?) but don't know the reason so many industrial machines are finished with it? I plan to re-paint the bed and think I may be happier with a slick polished finish, is there someone that can explain why I should not do it this way or explain why It is so popular amongst the mfg's?

Thank You,

Carl

It's pretty easy to replicate with Rust-Oleum hammered spray paint.  I use the dark bronze color.  There is also a dark grey color that looks good.  Get a couple cans and spray on cardboard as a color sample.  Once dry, pick the color that matches best.  

The key is to fade the paint into the original.  Most people paint to a tape line and the transition is obvious.  If you fade it in it looks much better.

Carl, it's your machine and you can do what you like with it, there's no reason you can't paint it how you like (there's no law against it ;)). A hammertone/wrinkled finish is pretty good for hiding imperfections in the paintwork but other than that it's all down to the aesthetics of the finish. When I repainted mine I just used a smooth satin finish.

53 minutes ago, dikman said:

Carl, it's your machine and you can do what you like with it, there's no reason you can't paint it how you like (there's no law against it ;)). A hammertone/wrinkled finish is pretty good for hiding imperfections in the paintwork but other than that it's all down to the aesthetics of the finish. When I repainted mine I just used a smooth satin finish.

Whew! I was a bit concerned the sewing machine police would be knocking on My door! 

Thanks for the replies, smooth finish it is!

Carl

1 hour ago, tallwelder said:

Whew! I was a bit concerned the sewing machine police would be knocking on My door!

All your sewing machines are belong to us!

It might have been the Spanish Inquisition who would knock on your door,  but..now that you are  expecting them...

I suspect the reason why so many machines are finished in "hammer type paint" is it is hard wearing, and covers a multitude of sins, such as casting imperfections, that a smooth finish would show up..any chips in the paint are less noticeable on "hammer finishes".

Edited by mikesc

Have you seen Mizzy's beautiful pink and white machines? Might give you some ideas.:lol:

Thought I would show how the flatbed portion of the machine turned out using rattle cans. Wish I had a place to shoot it with a paint gun but this will do for a machine to learn on.

67078903_485233072304815_8296312550128091136_n (1).jpg