Stu10

Where to buy a New Sewing Table on the west coast??

I need help finding a place to purchase a good quality sewing table for a Consew 206-1. Would like it with a Servo motor and ready to drop the machine head in. Live in Portland Oregon. Anybody have any advice?

Head over to the Ebay and be prepared to buy the servo separately. Unless you come across a local shop which has what you want. Motors are normally sold with machines, not with tables.

2 hours ago, DrmCa said:

be prepared to buy the servo separately

This statement needs expansion.

There are two commonly employed motors for industrial sewing machines: clutch and servo. Clutch motors have a mechanical cork (or other sometimes questionable material) internal clutch that transfers the motion from the always spinning motor to the output pulley (which can be various diameters). These motors have an adjuster bolt that gives or takes away slack in the pedal before it fully engages the clutch. One must have a steady foot and good toe control to be able to gradually engage the clutch to sew slowly. Most newbies to these motors miss the narrow range of semi-engagement and the motor is off the the races at 1725 rpm. Since the motor is always spinning at full speed when powered on, they generate noise and heat and eat electricity.

Servo motors are electronic DC motors that only spin when the control lever is pulled down. They are often as powerful as clutch motors and sometimes more so. They only draw full power under full load. Thus, there is less heat and noise, as well as less electricity consumed (unless they are run all the time). Servo motors are much lighter than clutch motors with many having plastic bodies.

Servo motors are usually easier to control, speedwise. But, there are some, usually the pushbutton type, that start spinning at 100, 200, or 300 rpm! These motors always start and stop with a jolt. I would avoid buying that type of servo motor if you need to sew very slowly.

The better type of servo has a knob on a potentiometer (aka: POT), or multi-position switch, which sets the top speed. These motors mostly start at zero and pick up speed as you press further down on the floor pedal. Here is the type of servo motor I am currently using.

Ultimately, no matter what type of motor you buy, the ratio between the motor and machine pulleys will determine how slow or fast the machine can sew. Upholsters usually want high speed over slowness, so they choose motors with a large pulley. It is common to see a 3.5" or 4" pulley on both the motor and handwheel. You probably won't want this if you are not sewing things that are measured in yards rather than inches. So, leather crafters usually opt for the smallest motor pulley they can find. In the case of the motor I use, this is a 50mm pulley, which is a special order for the dealers selling that type of motor. Most general purpose sewing machine dealers order the motors with a 70 or 75mm pulley, for speed. Smaller pulleys also increase the slow speed torque which helps penetrate leather or tough materials.

Both clutch and many servo motors contain a cork brake that dead stops the motor when the foot pedal is backed all the way off. This is to prevent the machine from continuing to sew after you initiate a full stop. It takes a tiny amount of toe action to free this brake if you need to handwheel the machine. Motors without a brake (or with the brake disengaged on purpose) tend to will run on after you stop from a very fast stitching line unless you grab the wheel and stop it manually.

Some of us take speed control a step further and add a speed reducer between the motor and machine. Their ratio may be 2:1 or 3:1, either of which really slow down the top speed and magnify the torque.

RECAP

Clutch motors are heavy, loud, draw a lot of electricity, produce a lot of heat and may be tricky to feather for slow speeds. Servo motors are much lighter, quieter, consume less power when not at full load and are generally easier to control (except the ones starting at a couple hundred rpm!). All motors are better at slow speeds if equipped with the smallest pulley (50mm/2" or less).

23 hours ago, Stu10 said:

I need help finding a place to purchase a good quality sewing table for a Consew 206-1. Would like it with a Servo motor and ready to drop the machine head in. Live in Portland Oregon. Anybody have any advice?

what ( DrmCa )  . say's , there are tables with wiring switch off ebay or amazon ..etc . . I would concentrate on a 'plywood Lam. top' ,  over getting those cheaper pressboard top tables sold . Then just get a servo and put under it . wire it up and get it running .go over to ace hardware a get a belt ...etc .

If you not all that handy with ( DIY )  from scratch , you better off ( pay more money) getting a hold of a shop/local Tech. around here that does repair and have them set one up. so all you have to do is drop your head in, put the belt on and and tun power On and sew .

Edited by nylonRigging

4 hours ago, nylonRigging said:

what ( DrmCa )  . say's , there are tables with wiring switch off ebay or amazon ..etc . . I would concentrate on a 'plywood Lam. top' ,  over getting those cheaper pressboard top tables sold . Then just get a servo and put under it . wire it up and get it running .go over to ace hardware a get a belt ...etc .

If you not all that handy with ( DIY )  from scratch , you better off ( pay more money) getting a hold of a shop/local Tech. around here that does repair and have them set one up. so all you have to do is drop your head in, put the belt on and and tun power On and sew .

I work on machine tool equipment so there is nothing there that I can't handle. I just wanted to make sure I get the best table with the proper cut out. 

21 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

This statement needs expansion.

There are two commonly employed motors for industrial sewing machines: clutch and servo. Clutch motors have a mechanical cork (or other sometimes questionable material) internal clutch that transfers the motion from the always spinning motor to the output pulley (which can be various diameters). These motors have an adjuster bolt that gives or takes away slack in the pedal before it fully engages the clutch. One must have a steady foot and good toe control to be able to gradually engage the clutch to sew slowly. Most newbies to these motors miss the narrow range of semi-engagement and the motor is off the the races at 1725 rpm. Since the motor is always spinning at full speed when powered on, they generate noise and heat and eat electricity.

Servo motors are electronic DC motors that only spin when the control lever is pulled down. They are often as powerful as clutch motors and sometimes more so. They only draw full power under full load. Thus, there is less heat and noise, as well as less electricity consumed (unless they are run all the time). Servo motors are much lighter than clutch motors with many having plastic bodies.

Servo motors are usually easier to control, speedwise. But, there are some, usually the pushbutton type, that start spinning at 100, 200, or 300 rpm! These motors always start and stop with a jolt. I would avoid buying that type of servo motor if you need to sew very slowly.

The better type of servo has a knob on a potentiometer (aka: POT), or multi-position switch, which sets the top speed. These motors mostly start at zero and pick up speed as you press further down on the floor pedal. Here is the type of servo motor I am currently using.

Ultimately, no matter what type of motor you buy, the ratio between the motor and machine pulleys will determine how slow or fast the machine can sew. Upholsters usually want high speed over slowness, so they choose motors with a large pulley. It is common to see a 3.5" or 4" pulley on both the motor and handwheel. You probably won't want this if you are not sewing things that are measured in yards rather than inches. So, leather crafters usually opt for the smallest motor pulley they can find. In the case of the motor I use, this is a 50mm pulley, which is a special order for the dealers selling that type of motor. Most general purpose sewing machine dealers order the motors with a 70 or 75mm pulley, for speed. Smaller pulleys also increase the slow speed torque which helps penetrate leather or tough materials.

Both clutch and many servo motors contain a cork brake that dead stops the motor when the foot pedal is backed all the way off. This is to prevent the machine from continuing to sew after you initiate a full stop. It takes a tiny amount of toe action to free this brake if you need to handwheel the machine. Motors without a brake (or with the brake disengaged on purpose) tend to will run on after you stop from a very fast stitching line unless you grab the wheel and stop it manually.

Some of us take speed control a step further and add a speed reducer between the motor and machine. Their ratio may be 2:1 or 3:1, either of which really slow down the top speed and magnify the torque.

RECAP

Clutch motors are heavy, loud, draw a lot of electricity, produce a lot of heat and may be tricky to feather for slow speeds. Servo motors are much lighter, quieter, consume less power when not at full load and are generally easier to control (except the ones starting at a couple hundred rpm!). All motors are better at slow speeds if equipped with the smallest pulley (50mm/2" or less).

Great info!!   Yes on the servo motor.  Can anybody help with any vendors on the west if possibly as shipping would be cheaper? I really want a quality table so if it cost more for shipping I good with that. ANy models with built in rollers would be great too!

Stu;

The owner of the Cobra brand is in Ontario, California. They go as Leather Machine Company. Their toll free number is: 866-962-9880. I'm not certain if they can cut a table for your machine, but it's worth asking.

Other than that, I know there are a lot of industrial sewing machine dealers in the LA area, most of whom sell on eBay. There's no doubt one of them can setup a table for your particular machine. The only IF is the servo motor. Aside from Cowboy and Cobra dealers on our forum, the eBay dealers don't normally stock motors with the very small pulleys we need for slow speed sewing and punching power.

It is the nature of these motors to have much less power at starting speeds. Tiny pulleys help somewhat, but 2:1 and 3:1 speed reducers really make it possible to sew at extremely slow speed and punch through 2 or layers of belt leather. It would help if you can measure the diameter of the pulley on the back of your machine. If it is 4" across the top, a 2" motor pulley will give you 2:1 reduction/torque multiplication. This would allow a Family Sew 550s motor, equipped with a 50mm pulley, to punch through leather at slow starting speeds.

I do know that the same dealer, in Toledo, Ohio, selling the small pulley Family Sew motors, sets up and sells Consew machines. I'll bet he can setup a table and slow speed capable motor and ship it to you at a lower price than you'll pay buying the parts separately from different dealers. That would likely include the proper v-belt too. The number there is: 866-362-7397

Try Alberoni's in southern California.  There was a dealer in Oregon.

glenn