Devo

Setting feed dog gap side & front to back. Pfaff 145

When I get the feed dog side gaps corrected between needle plate, tighten top screws (green) to hold position. (Had to move shaft/bar to the left to correct)  

Then loosen screws (yellow) to adjust the feed dog moving front to back evenly. (Had to move the hinge unit to the right), it reverses the gap fixed by moving bar to the left to fix needle plate gap.

I tried putting shim between the edge of shaft/bar and foot (right red arrow) and completely freeing the left bolt (left red arrow) but still no success. 

Although instructions indicate there is no connection between the two corrections (side gap versus front to back), I’m now wondering if there is. I.e., I should be able to set them independent of each other.   Also wondering if I should be moving hinges differently  

Any suggestions appreciated. (Using instructions for 1245 as no service Manual for 145). 

7CB18AAD-A72B-4C71-957C-64E6ECBB7615.jpeg

Ok.  Guess no one knows. 

Bummer. 

There are not that many people here who know Pfaffs really well..give it time..it is the weekend , they are probably not around ATM..

Ok Mike, will do

thanks

Seem to recall the front to back feed dog adjustment is definitely part of the “timing” adjustment in a procedure step. On many machines this is relative to a stitch length setting also. 

Typically the needle plate has its taper head screws, so are self aligning. If Im picking up what your saying.  Therefore feed dog side clearance can be tedious but secondary as the top plate is not usually adjustable on flat tops. So with this Im understanding your shaft adjustment toward a side. But I don't know that particular machines procedure, so good luck, I will say a 145 manual though is a good option to find.

Hope something in this has bearing. 

Have a good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Uwe is probably your best bet for Pfaff advice ( or Eric "gottaknow", highly experienced sewing machine mechanic, head mechanic in factories with hundreds of machines of all types ) who hasn't posted in a long while now ) ..but apparently ( according to a comment from someone else in another thread in the past couple of days ) Uwe is travelling / on Holiday ATM..

Edited by mikesc

You need to loosen the screws marked green & the part they hold will slide left or right as needed to line up the needle,side to side of the feed dog & plate really doesn't matter,(you just want to needle to be in the center of the hole).You will  also need to loosen the yellow screws so it doesn't bind & slide the whole piece one way or the other .

On 7/30/2019 at 7:39 AM, brmax said:

Seem to recall the front to back feed dog adjustment is definitely part of the “timing” adjustment in a procedure step. On many machines this is relative to a stitch length setting also. 

Typically the needle plate has its taper head screws, so are self aligning. If Im picking up what your saying.  Therefore feed dog side clearance can be tedious but secondary as the top plate is not usually adjustable on flat tops. So with this Im understanding your shaft adjustment toward a side. But I don't know that particular machines procedure, so good luck, I will say a 145 manual though is a good option to find.

Hope something in this has bearing. 

Have a good day

Floyd

Thank you for your observations. There are no service manuals for this exact machine. I was able to get all that existed from a company in U.K. and a few folks helping me. 

On 7/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, mikesc said:

Uwe is probably your best bet for Pfaff advice ( or Eric "gottaknow", highly experienced sewing machine mechanic, head mechanic in factories with hundreds of machines of all types ) who hasn't posted in a long while now ) ..but apparently ( according to a comment from someone else in another thread in the past couple of days ) Uwe is travelling / on Holiday ATM..

Thank you. 

On 7/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, CowboyBob said:

You need to loosen the screws marked green & the part they hold will slide left or right as needed to line up the needle,side to side of the feed dog & plate really doesn't matter,(you just want to needle to be in the center of the hole).You will  also need to loosen the yellow screws so it doesn't bind & slide the whole piece one way or the other .

I appreciate the advise. That is exactly what I’ve been  doing with no success. 

On 7/30/2019 at 8:59 PM, CowboyBob said:

Hi Bob,

I know, you know your stuff, so that is why I am asking... I don't understand how the green screws on his picture will allow you to move anything to do with centering the needle in the needle plate. I understand the mechanism alters feed dog position, etc....

I am confused, if you have time can you explain?

Thanks

Alex

2 hours ago, alexitbe said:

Hi Bob,

I know, you know your stuff, so that is why I am asking... I don't understand how the green screws on his picture will allow you to move anything to do with centering the needle in the needle plate. I understand the mechanism alters feed dog position, etc....

I am confused, if you have time can you explain?

Thanks

Alex

The needle on this machine goes through the feed dog not the needle plate,so you move the feed dog left to right by using the green screws & get the needle centered.

9 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

The needle on this machine goes through the feed dog not the needle plate,so you move the feed dog left to right by using the green screws & get the needle centered.

Thanks Bob.... :)

I see now its a walking foot machine, it makes sense.

Cheers

Alex