Guest Wmhickey

WTB:Hand tooled auto interior

Guest Wmhickey

Hello, I am interested in hiring a leatherworker to create a custom patterned and textured hand tooled bench seat, door panels and dash pad for a 1963 Chevrolet C10 truck. I imagine that they would be styled somewhat after the factory type patterns with artistic license. I am located in Los Angeles. Please contact: wmhickey@hickeyconstruction.net

Thanks

Bill

I've seen the pattern,  had a 65 C10.  Can be done but would cost you a boatload of cash. 

THein, Thanks for your reply. I realize that it is not a cheap prospect. Probably could just do the seat. The truck has a really cool patina (rusty) and I don't want to change too much but I think that this would make it a special piece. Any guess on the cost would be appreciated. Do you think that it could be done in the 1500 range (bench seat only?) I don't have any idea of what this kind of work costs. Picture of the truck attached. Obviously needs a total clean up. Planning on taking the rack off. We are the 2nd owners!

SmartSelect_20190806-115618_Gallery.jpg

The only guy I know who regularly tools truck bench seats charges about $5k, but you might have to wait because his work is in demand.  His site is easy to find if you search for Misfit Skinny Kustoms.  note: his work is not traditional Sheridan or Western carving.  it tends to be more Native American/tattoo/Southwest and graffiti styles.  I have met him but have am otherwise not connected.

I dont know if could be done for that price range, but maybe if the design had a lot more open area, that would simpkify matters.

If you want floral, etc., I'm not sure where to look.

Edited by johnv474

Holy crap @johnv474...Misfit Skinny is no joke. Some of those seats have to be north of 5k even with all the detail. That dude is an artist for sure. Thanks for posting that. 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, Wmhickey said:

Do you think that it could be done in the 1500 range (bench seat only?)

Doing the back and the seat or just the seat?  If you only use the prime section of Hermann Oak leather, the total cost just for the leather might approach $1500.  Did you ever find a taker?    If so, how did it come out?  If no, what pattern/style are you looking to do?

YinTx

OK crazy qustion but won't continuous sitting on those seat eventually ruin the carvings. I mean like flatten them out, discolor them what ever ???

9 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

OK crazy qustion but won't continuous sitting on those seat eventually ruin the carvings. I mean like flatten them out, discolor them what ever ???

Motorcycle seats get tooled all the time and while a little definition is lost, not much is. I've seen some motorcycle seats after 20 years of near daily driving that are worn and faded but still well defined. Think of old saddles, worn but still defined and then think of the seat being in the cab of a truck getting less exposure to direct sunlight and the elements than saddles and bike seats. My guess is that it'd hold up better. I could be wrong though.

Edit:

I went back and looked at the Misfit Skinny's work again and was blown away again...man, that is some work, all with his own style.

Edited by battlemunky