xderiwx

Some Questions on Tote Bag Dimensions

Hi guys,

I have some questions regarding tote bag dimensions. I’m getting ready/excited to tackle my first one. I will be using 5oz. Veg Tan for the body. I’ve been trying to look at peoples posts, pictures and videos to get ideas on patterns and sizes and to see what measurements and allowances I need to account for. 

I’m curious of how much width and height you generally lose off of your original pattern dimensions, after the bag is sewn and flipped back right side out. Looking at pictures, it seems most are in the 2-5” range on width? What exactly causes this dimensional loss? I want to make sure so I can start with the correct dimensions so I end up with the desired size. I’m hoping to be around 12-14” W x 12” H x 4-5” D. 

Also, if I’m doing the “T” or notched style bottom, if I go say 2.5” in from the edge, by 5” wide, does that mean the bags bottom will have a depth of 5”, or will some of that be lost during flipping? Is the 2.5” in from the edge the dimension that causes the overall loss on the final width measurements?

I have searched through a bunch of tote bag posts but couldnt find anything for my particular questions  I did notice though, that the Stohlman casing book has come up a few times. Would this topic be something that’s covered in there?

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, xderiwx said:

how much width and height you generally lose off of your original pattern dimensions, after the bag is sewn and flipped back right side out.

You might be able to answer the question yourself by building a prototype of your bag out of cloth before you cut any leather. Because cloth is not as thick as leather, the prototype won't have the exact same dimensions as the finished bag, but you'll be able to better visualize the end result, and that might get you closer to your answer. I've had to learn this lesson several times.

8 hours ago, xderiwx said:

if I’m doing the “T” or notched style bottom, if I go say 2.5” in from the edge, by 5” wide, does that mean the bags bottom will have a depth of 5”, or will some of that be lost during flipping? Is the 2.5” in from the edge the dimension that causes the overall loss on the final width measurements?

Normally if you go in 2.5" you go 2.5" wide as well. Well maybe not normal, but if this is your first one I would sure recommend it. This way is for one that has a seam on the bottom as well as the sides. If you are making the entire front back bottom from the same piece of material you are correct. 2.5 x 5. That would give you a 5" wide bottom and gusset. Note that those calculations don't have any seam allowance figured in. Lay it out on paper first, then prototype it on something cheap, make corrections, do it again, when right, then you can cut the leather. Good luck.

If you want a reliable tote pattern with accompanying video, then Ian Atkinson has a good one. His videos are excellent at explaining the processes as well as the actual making. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/264115189/build-along-leather-pattern-6-turned

As others have said, always prototype a new design before cutting into expensive leather. I use cheap split. It will help you understand how the pattern works and therefore how you can then make your own  changes to the design, sizing etc. 

If you just want to build one, diy leather patterns has lots of tote plans. Diesel Punk Leather also has some cool designs. If you want a really great lesson in pattern making, check out Nigel Armitage on Vimeo. It will be the best 4 dollars you ever spent.

I've also used commercial carpet remnants for prototyping. You can buy scraps or end-of-roll remnants for next to nothing at a carpet store, and the thickness and flexibility are similar to bag weight leather. Just make sure you get the smooth nap dense weave commercial carpet and not the residential stuff.

17 hours ago, WolfteverGunleather said:

I've also used commercial carpet remnants for prototyping. You can buy scraps or end-of-roll remnants for next to nothing at a carpet store, and the thickness and flexibility are similar to bag weight leather. Just make sure you get the smooth nap dense weave commercial carpet and not the residential stuff.

Ha! 

I work at a flooring store and never thought of that.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:22 AM, blue duck said:

Normally if you go in 2.5" you go 2.5" wide as well. Well maybe not normal, but if this is your first one I would sure recommend it. This way is for one that has a seam on the bottom as well as the sides. If you are making the entire front back bottom from the same piece of material you are correct. 2.5 x 5. That would give you a 5" wide bottom and gusset. Note that those calculations don't have any seam allowance figured in. Lay it out on paper first, then prototype it on something cheap, make corrections, do it again, when right, then you can cut the leather. Good luck.

Yes, I’m looking at making one out of the one piece, no bottom seam. Forgot to mention that earlier. :)

On 8/3/2019 at 11:54 PM, AndyNext said:

If you want a reliable tote pattern with accompanying video, then Ian Atkinson has a good one. His videos are excellent at explaining the processes as well as the actual making. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/264115189/build-along-leather-pattern-6-turned

As others have said, always prototype a new design before cutting into expensive leather. I use cheap split. It will help you understand how the pattern works and therefore how you can then make your own  changes to the design, sizing etc. 

Thanks for the link! I purchased the pattern/tutorial. I guess it’s more so a tutorial, as the pattern is not completely printable, but I get the idea of what’s going on. I’m going to end up increasing the size from his a bit. 

On 8/5/2019 at 12:55 AM, bikermutt07 said:

If you just want to build one, diy leather patterns has lots of tote plans. Diesel Punk Leather also has some cool designs. If you want a really great lesson in pattern making, check out Nigel Armitage on Vimeo. It will be the best 4 dollars you ever spent.

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into those patterns! Regarding the Nigel Armitage video on Vimeo, am I right in thinking it’s a subscription to the channel, not just a single video?

Thank you to everyone who chimed in thus far!