Sign in to follow this  
keithski122

Modified/repaired? juki 563

Someone at sometime has altered the knee lift mechanism of my juki 563.It looks like they've added a spring to lift the original spring which I'm guessing stops the original one from working.I haven't changed it back to how it should be but if I push the lever in the direction the spring would push it then the arm along the back rises and drops as I sew.This arm will move if I sew fast(which I don't normaly do) as it is now.

Has anyone any idea why this may have been done or how to stop the arm moving if I change it back to standard?

065.thumb.jpg.fc636dbac47f813b1bb420620c305d6b.jpg

064.thumb.jpg.d62703929c016ca57f5eedde97ea47ad.jpg

Sometimes I wonder!

The movement issue has been discussed before here, but I cannot recall a specific post. 

I would do some searching and consider adjustment procedures, it was not manufactured like that so plan for down time. 

Have a good day

Floyd

2 hours ago, brmax said:

The movement issue has been discussed before here, but I cannot recall a specific post. 

The issue was discussed in a topic called " Juki lu 563 knee lifter spring setup / tension " back in January by Eastelite. This also has a video in one of the posts that my be helpful in comparing your setup.

kgg

Thank you. You both must have good memories.I've had problems before with the reverse lever moving which I think I have solved but would like to sort this.Machine sews fine.........not excellent but fine and I don't want to put any money into it as its not mine but belongs to my employer who is reluctant to get all our machines serviced.I would prefer to put my money into buying my own machine and am considering my option at the moment.

Where are you located, and whats the typical projects being made. 

It’s always a benefit when employees can and want to carry a bit more at times to help out. I do have plenty reservations on working like that with little reward. 

I have very strong feelings toward that with both sides, and never hesitated to voice my opinion, respectfully in a proper setting. 

I hope ya find the parts you need, its been said before the dealers in the banners can obtain parts, or if you ask in post such needs. Im sure some can forward you to a parts supply. 

Good day

Floyd

4 hours ago, keithski122 said:

I don't want to put any money into it as its not mine but belongs to my employer who is reluctant to get all our machines serviced.

It is nice to know and offer suggestions to your employer about correcting the machine but it is the employers decision to have the necessary repairs done or let the machine fall apart. There is business model where you run machinery til it fails and then replace it. He may have made the decision to replace the machine(s) and figures why put any money into them until failure. So if your employer doesn't mine having equipment not preforming properly and it's related costs in additional labour or reduced quality of product being produced then I wouldn't worry about it. His business model / decision not yours. Definitely wouldn't put my money into any machine owned by an employer unless I was going to get reimbursed for the out of pocket expense.

kgg

4 hours ago, keithski122 said:

ThI would prefer to put my money into buying my own machine and am considering my option at the moment.

I've done that a few times and then took work home and got paid on a piece work basis. I made more that way than working hourly at the shop. Plus, you can work at you own pace at home. One such gig paid for a walking foot machine in one month.

Again thanks for the replies. I'm in the uk and work as an auto upholsterer.Previously I worked for 25 years as a mechanic so am used to having to buy my own tools to do a job, I would obviously prefer not to but like to do the best job I can, a better machine would go through thicker material easier, longer stitch length, less likely to jam up, etc. I have my own skiving machine and material steamer already.I'm looking at a global version of the juki 1508.

I had a small play today and removed the extra spring and set the original spring to where the marking showed it had previously been, instantly gained an extra 4mm(ish) of knee lift height though when sewing fast or throughthin material the knee lift linkage on the top was moving up and down. As a temporary fix I added the spring to do the same thing as the spring mentioined in the topic recommended.Problem seems to be solve, now to find the correct spring or make a better temporary fix.The additional lever has been fitted in the past for a foot pedal operated foot lift which I've removed.Its possible the extra weight of the lever is contributing to the movement of the arm.

002.thumb.jpg.c2bc15c898c282df0da741e0c56172c8.jpg

Edited by keithski122