HaloJones

Some Advice Please

So I am making some shoes, photo below, what I want to do is to have a braided finish to the top. I have 3m of 3mm wide suede lacing on order (dark red).

I was thinking of doing a Mexican round braid but I fear that may come up too thick /  bulky, so i wanted to know is there a better pattern for this application, my main aim is to have a contrasting edge & to hide my poor sewing machine skills ;) 

Any advice welcome,  & thanks 

(the grey liner will be trimmed back) 

image1.jpeg

Edited by HaloJones
spelling

The Mexican Round Braid would be good if your strands aren't too thick - 3mm flat?  - a nice looking braid.  What about a Double Helix Round braid - not too bulky and easy to do several colours.  Or there's the single or double loop braid - Cardovan it's called i think.

Here's a You Tube link to the double helix.  Don't forget to post a photo of the finished shoe ;)

I would seek out some custom cut kangaroo lace. Then do a 1 to 7 edge braid.

23 hours ago, HaloJones said:

I was thinking of doing a Mexican round braid but I fear that may come up too thick

Wouldn't all braids be abrasive to the ankle? 
To hide the stitching, would it be possible to add a thin, soft leather like buckstitched around? That would (in my mind) make it bulky still but softer to the ankle. 

(Hmm, red leather with black lace buckstitching would look sweet on those shoes...)

OK so in the end i did a simple whip stitch to keep the bulk down, give it time I may change my mind & the braiding, but here they are 

image1.jpeg

So I changed the braid the Mexican & I much prefer it & nope its not too bulky :)

image1.jpeg

WOW! That is an excellent job. From the shoes themselves, to the carved flowers and capped off by that Mexican braid. Truly a work of art.

I am just wondering if that tab at the heel is a little 'industrial' for these shoes?

On 9/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, KnotHead said:

I would seek out some custom cut kangaroo lace. Then do a 1 to 7 edge braid.

I know this is an old post but I did at least use the search button :banana:

Im learning and attempting my first project utilizing this Mexican braid technique. My question is more on WHAT to you, you mention kangaroo lace and thats great, I wasnt sure if it all comes pre finished or if I can find some more like veg tan where I can dye it the same as the rest of the piece. 

This is for a semi historical/semi modern Hungarian suit of archers armor. 

TIA