AndreasB

I need to add a plastic plaque to leather

Hi,

I'm clueless on how to proceed. A while ago I got asked to build two rifle scabbards as a price for a local SASS match later this month. I'm ok with the scabbard build. The idea was to add an engraved plaque (2"x5") to the side of it with a certain text. We were talking a brass plaque all the time, so I planned on using glue and rivets to attach it.

The guys from the gunclub had ordered the plaque and it came in yesterday. To my surprise it is not brass but brass colored plastic. It has an adhesive backer so I think it is the standard plaque that usually goes on the wooden base of a trophy.

Now I'm scared of using rivets, because the plastic might break while pressing the rivets. The adhesive backer also prevents me from using a contact cement which I would trust more than what is on there at the moment. Since there will be flex and movement in the leather I'm also afraid that the edges of the plaque will come undone over time.

First I was thinking of attaching the plaque by putting a braiding around the edge. But I've never done that before and want it to look good. Unfortunately I also don't have a spare piece of that plastic to do some testing with either glue, rivets...

Does anyone of you have an idea what I could do to attach it?

Thanks

Andreas

Edited by AndreasB

Just an idea. i  have never done

remove the old adhesive using acetone,  just rub it till gone

then clue it to the scabbard. using your contact cement

then,  use the snap cap rivets that you press together

29 minutes ago, AndreasB said:

Does anyone of you have an idea what I could do to attach it?

The only thought that comes to mind is to rivet the plastic plaque through the leather to a metal plate. Maybe use Chicago screws, which are rivets that don't need pressing.

Can you remove the glue tnen use your own

Make a badge shape out of the same leather with a hole in the centre for the plaque, but overlapping slightly the bottom of the plaque and sew as appropriate around the edges

The covering over the bottom may offer protection so the plaque is not hit and removed and also adds to the glue strength on the plaque

Hard to explain but like a old watch where the glass was held in by a metal strap holding it into the frame

Sod it I know what I mean, if nobody else does

Edited by chrisash

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Can you remove the glue tnen use your own

Make a badge shape out of the same leather with a hole in the centre for the plaque, but overlapping slightly the bottom of the plaque and sew as appropriate around the edges

The covering over the bottom may offer protection so the plaque is not hit and removed and also adds to the glue strength on the plaque

Hard to explain but like a old watch where the glass was held in by a metal strap holding it into the frame

Sod it I know what I mean, if nobody else does

I think what @chrisash

is referring to is treating the plaque as an inlay - sort of what this old post shows: