Obeliske

Upright tube bag help

So a buddy asked me to make him a unique bag for a larp character he's running and I thought of an interesting design I'm just unsure of how to go about making the opening. He asked for two things, first that it be navy blue (easy thing) second that it be super fast to get things in and out of. I've settled on a tube design using two metal rings for the top and bottom with some thicker leather for the body. What I was thinking was a simple elastic band style opening on top, kind of a diaphragm opening so you could push your hand in and pull it out but it will squeeze itself closed the rest of the time. For the top and bottom of the tube I've settled on some old pigskin I have lying around which has almost the consistency of cloth it's so soft I'm just not sure how to affix it to the elastic to create an easy to use diaphragm movement and I'm wondering if anybody has any advice or a guide of some sort that would help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I'll be starting the project in a day or two and if I haven't gotten any advice by then I guess it will be trial and error :P

If you google “squeeze open pouch” it may give you an idea, I have only seen coin / glasses cases with this but you may be able to make a larger one?

That's a great idea! I had thought something with a fabric elastic would work well but hadn't thought of a squeeze thinger I know exactly what your referring to :D

Use hacksaw blades* ( teeth ground off ) and cut them to size for the spring sides..sew them in..fasten the ends together, cover the ends.. voila..

*springy steel..especially the bi-metal ones.

Edited by mikesc

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

Use hacksaw blades* ( teeth ground off ) and cut them to size for the spring sides..sew them in..fasten the ends together, cover the ends.. voila..

*springy steel..especially the bi-metal ones.

Hey Mike I'm not sure what your referring to but it sure sounds like something out of saw >.< LOL

@mikesc

Hacksaw blades!!!! that is simply genius. Next you are going to tell me wrist slappers make good zippers or something :).  Would love to see a pick of how you integrated that.

@Obeliske

He is referring to using two of these: 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-24-TPI-Bi-Metal-Hacksaw-Blade-2-Pack-DWHT20552/205049944

With the sharp side ground off, sewn into the top of the bag to make like... a bendy, spring back opening. I imagine they come in different thicknesses to make them more or less bendy.

Do the bottom of the tube with thick veg tan inner layer to keep it stiff at the bottom

Top use extra length so you can roll down the opening for closure and a couple of velcro straps that go from half way down the front and long strips of velcro running up the back, so when rolled up the straps fit onto the back strips

Edited by chrisash