toxo

Edge gum spoiling?

I was looking on Goods Japan for some edge treatment. They sell a gum trag alternative in powder form and, amongst other things they advise making up small batches as and when needed because bacteria transferred from outside (from leather etc) can cause the product to "spoil". Has anyone come across this? Does "spoiling" reduce the efficacy?  

Bacteria makes it go "off" ...clumpy..smell..doesn't work very well..add a drop or two of tea tree oil*, or Eucalyptus oil* to it when you make it, helps it last longer after mixing, doesn't affect the usage..but only a drop or two.

*From Chemist's.. in tiny bottles..cost a couple of squid.

I bought a two quart bottle of Gum Tragacanth a few years back. It definitely goes bad after a while. It will have the consistency of water instead of a thick gummy consistency, and it turns yellowish instead of white. It makes it much harder to apply to the edges and control where it goes, and it also greatly reduces how effective it is because it doesnt generate as much friction heat when burnishing.

I threw it away half-full yesterday and bought a new smaller bottle. Gum T is definitely a product I will purchase in smaller portions at a time henceforth.

Edited by mchaney2003

I've had my gum trag for about 4 or 5 years now and it's still going strong. I keep it in the house with my other leather stuff and not out in the shed where the sanding, air brushing, and dying station are kept. Still has that fresh public bathroom smell and works good. Its also just a 4 oz bottle. I have no idea why mine is lasting so well.