iron1951

108w20 and belts

I need a belt for my 108w20. The hand wheel pulley and the bobbin threader pulley look like they take round belts, not V-belts. Where can I get round belts? Any other options? At this time the 108w20 is not in a table so I don't know belt length. Is it possible to make up a belt, to a custom length, like they do for the singer treadle machines? Thanks

You need a 8mm (3/8) wide M type V Belt, what we call a V belt that you use on your car is a 1/2 V belt.

Although you can use an automotive 1/2 inch V belt, it will sit to high and may rub on the guard, if fitted.

Bert.

I am familiar with the 3/8 v belts. I use one on my consew. But I have two "neat looking" bobbin winders that I don't think will work with the v-belt.1943211160_BobbinWinder11.thumb.jpg.9bcdc4e86f41d1943addabe1d136cade.jpg412334780_BobbinWinder13.thumb.jpg.b7259d40fb81953b411dc9720341ebd5.jpg

These machines were built for round leather belting. You typically buy a length, cut to size with a knife and insert a heavy wire staple to secure. Available from most industrial sewing machine suppliers, and eBay.

The modern equivalent is a textured polyurethane, which again is sold by the length. This is secured by melting and fusing the ends together, then trimming any fillet when cooled. I think it works better than leather but comes in bright colours, which look jarring on a beautifully japanned vintage machine.

The good thing about round belting is that you can keep a roll on the shelf and make up whatever length you need instantly.

These Bobbin Winders are made to use with round leather belt and I run several of my machine with leather belts and no problems.

I have one old Singer 16K113 setup with a V belt and the same type of Bobbin winder and it works okay for me. Just took a little to set up, but works okay.

Bert.

If you decide to build one, Wawak has the round leather belting.

I have been having trouble purchasing quality leather belt leather and a friend told me about Lathe Belts.

Have a look at this https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Transmission+Belt+for+Lathe&_sacat=0

Bert.

Let us know how you get on, I am still using the last of my leather belts.

If you can run them without the belt being to tight, that would be great.

Bert.

Bert51, I really cannot tell you how the polyurethane belts work under load as I don't sew, just repair/restore. The belts are "sticky" and seem to grip well. I don't think they need to run tight. They have a bit of stretch to them. It seem that when the belt is running, the drive side tighten up and the coast side slackens a bit which I think adds to the grip factor. I put the belt on and off without having to adjust the tension or tilt the machine. I bought mine through Amazon.ca, 6mmx10m for under $25can. I can't believe how easy they are to join. Hope this helps. Iron