Longbows

Weaver 4 Ton or 8 Ton??

I can't decide between the Weaver 4 Ton or 8 Ton clicker press.  I will be clicking 10-11oz leather coasters mostly.  Money is a concern, so I am leaning towards the 4 ton, but if the 8 ton will cut the leather better/faster, I will consider spending the extra money.  Which do you all recommend??  Thank you for any feedback.

I'd say none of the above. Go with the 12 ton hydraulic bench press, add the steel plates and save over $8000 over what is just an arbor press.

Or go with a harbor freight hydraulic press and save more. Find the plates at a scrap yard.

total agree with Studio-n. trying to click that heavy of leather useing anything. leaa than 12 tons will not hold up.

Thank you guys.  Well, crap.  Right now I am using a 30 ton press hooked up to air.  It just seems so slowwwww.  I had to cut 300 4" coasters and it took forever.  I thought something like a manual Weaver would be much faster/efficient.  If it is not hooked up to air, seems like you would have to jack the handle about 15 times each cut.  No?  I am new to this, so I am listening to your advice.  IMG_9778.thumb.JPG.8ad68b335d37e650a7a59d2b14a92b79.JPG

18 hours ago, Longbows said:

Right now I am using a 30 ton press hooked up to air.  It just seems so slowwwww.  I had to cut 300 4" coasters and it took forever.  I thought something like a manual Weaver would be much faster/efficient.  If it is not hooked up to air, seems like you would have to jack the handle about 15 times each cut.  No?  I am new to this, so I am listening to your advice.  

If you are planning on doing that much volume again, then yes, a Weaver press may be faster but you're going to be providing the power instead of a compressor. The 8 ton would definitely cut 10-11oz easier but it's still going to be a workout with that many pieces. If 300 pieces is going to be happening often then you would be better off in investing in a swing-arm hydraulic clicker press like the CB12. http://www.solar-leather.com/cb12 . They are a lot more than the Weaver 8 ton but will be a lot faster and easier. 

19 hours ago, Longbows said:

Right now I am using a 30 ton press hooked up to air.  It just seems so slowwwww.  I had to cut 300 4" coasters and it took forever. 

I have a 6-ton hydraulic press for clicking. A big part of the reasoning was speed -- the smaller jacks tend to be faster than the larger ones from what I read, and certainly faster than the air-hydraulic jacks I've watched online. 4 pumps per click on 3-4mm leather (assuming I raise the ram the minimum needed to clear the leather and knife). That's about 1 second. 6 ton is plenty for a 4" circle. Maybe you can buy a similar cheap press and save the big one for larger dies, or put a small bottle jack in your existing press.

when you release the air out of a manual press, do not let it all out, just enough to have room to get your die and leather out and have a bit of room to work. it will cut down on your time a lot.

Thank you for all the feedback.  I will pick up a smaller press and add a plate to it and give that a try.  Thank you!