LostInThought

How do I recreate this type of leather?

Hey guys! First post. I was drooling over way too expensive clothing on the internet and stumbled across this belt.

VA02X001-RANDA-001-A.jpg.ee3cf798653bdd7eab55e58dfb517633.jpg

As you can see it's all wobbly. Does anyone know how this effect can be recreated? Thanks a lot in advance.

Make the belt, . . . tie it to a line, . . . drag it behind your buggy for 30 Kilometers in the rain, . . . allow it to dry

It may be expensive, . . . but it sure is ugly, . . .  I wouldn't wear it to a soccer match, . . . and I hate soccer.

May God bless,

Dwight

Looks like it may be layered with a raised section.  Wet form the top layer over the raised forms.  I'm sure many other ways to get there as well.

YinTx

15 hours ago, Dwight said:

Make the belt, . . . tie it to a line, . . . drag it behind your buggy for 30 Kilometers in the rain, . . . allow it to dry

It may be expensive, . . . but it sure is ugly, . . .  I wouldn't wear it to a soccer match, . . . and I hate soccer.

May God bless,

Dwight

I am sure it would be quite distressed after that long ride. But the main takeaway seems to be water and drying.

9 hours ago, YinTx said:

Looks like it may be layered with a raised section.  Wet form the top layer over the raised forms.  I'm sure many other ways to get there as well.

YinTx

I tried to google raised section and raised forms but found nothing. Do you mean making a wobbly, somewhat rough surface to clamp it to while it dries?

Edited by LostInThought
Typo.

Is it definitely leather? From what little I can see from that little picture it looks like some sort of plastic moulding, in which cases the "wobbles" are milled into the mould.

Edited by Matt S

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

YinTx

Yeah, I would agree, that is my first thought anyway.

Without seeing it in person, I am guessing it is two layers of relatively thin leather, with odd shaped scraps of leather glued in between and lightly wet molded.

Then maybe it is tied in a knot and left to dry!

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

At about the 3:12 mark, he is inserting the raised section.

YinTx