whodatpat

Minimalist Wallet - No Sewing

I stumbled across this site looking for answers to my remedial leather crafting questions.  I am very happy with the advanced solutions i have found, so thank you.

I don't want to steal credit for the design of this wallet.  I liked the basic design from Mr. Lentz Wallet but didn't want it to be so floppy and could not bring myself to pay $60 wen I could make it myself for at least twice that...

So I bought some 4-5 oz. pull up leather from Tandy along with some tools that I have cost justified because i am making gifts for family and friends...  (Don't judge me, you know you started this way too.)  After a little trial and error I think i got it right.

There is no sewing, only rivets.  The body of the walled is doubled over and glued together so that there is no flesh side showing.  This also makes the outside of the wallet stiff, but not hard. Then, I fold the inside pocket flaps up and rivet them on the edge.  I did do a little skiving along the seams to remove some material to allow for a tighter fold on the leather.

I hope you like it.  If you want to buy one, I think the Mr. Lentz one is still pretty damn  cool.  If you want to make one, I think this improvement is worth while.

Wallet.jpg

Wallet1.jpg

WalletsParts.jpg

Nice work! Mr Lentz was an early inspiration for me as well. Keep up the good work, and keep showing us what you produce.

3 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Nice work! Mr Lentz was an early inspiration for me as well. Keep up the good work, and keep showing us what you produce.

ditto he does cool stuff with minimal work indeed. Made me a wallet and also designed a phone case wallet combo with the minimalist idea of no sewing.