Roz0323

Help please! Dye is coming off my favorite wallet after using obenaufs

Ive had a small black coach  wallet for a really long time. It had a nice gloss to it. I've never really cleaned it. I just used some obenaufs on it thinking it would freshen it a little. It did the opposite. Dye is coming off now and it's lost its sheen.  I love obenaufs but what a bummer. What can I do to seal the dye  and bring back the gloss? I don't know if it's chrome tanned or not. It is a coach brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately my picture upload keeps failing. 

Honestly I had to google a coach wallet, . . . and then obenaufs, . . . just to see what the question was.

If dye is coming off, . . . that means whatever protective covering that was on it, . . . was eaten off by the obenaufs product.  From what I was able to glean from the couple of articles I scanned, . . . their product is more for heavy duty work boots, etc, . . . not necessarily for the finer leather products we live with, . . . as in wallets, vests, etc.

That said, . . . your wallet is losing dye, . . . so it can be re-dyed, . . . or just sealed as is, . . . and if you seal it as is, . . . you have a beautiful example of "worn" leather, . . . that many revel in.  I have one such coat, it's an Eddie Baur, . . . and while I did not pay retail for it , . . . it is one expensive coat, . . . especially with the "worn" look.

If you decide to re-dye it, . . . and are near Columbus, . . . look up Scott at the Tandy store on Morse Road, . . . he'll clue you in on what you need.  You can also buy a small bottle of Resolene, . . . mix it 50/50 with water, . . . is one of the best products out there for sealing and bringing a bit of gloss to it.  Actually, . . . there are several in that store that can help you, . . . Scott is just the boss and has the most experience.

Tell em I sent you.  No discount, . . . but they'll get a chuckle out of it.

I'm in the Marion area, . . . go down there once a month or so myself.

May God bless,

Dwight

have a photo?  is it dye or years of ... stuff coming off?  Can't say if I can't see...

YinTx

Thanks Dwight and Yin Tx.    Im in Cleveland  and we have a Tandy right by me.  I will go them this weekend and get'r done.  I appreciate the assistance.  i have some resolene (just haven't had a chance to use it yet) so i will absolutely try that with 50/50 water ratio.  I am very green when it comes to leather working and really never ran across an issue with dye until now.    the way the black was coming off on my fingers and rag, it's definitely the dye.  finally my pic downloaded. LOL!  too bad i dont have a before pic.  there was a high gloss. Thanks again and happy holidays!

wallet.jpg

Edited by Roz0323