NewfoundlandLaw

Looking for Options for Thin Leather

Hey All

I took delivery of a new Cobra Class 4 Machine about a month ago and I honestly can't believe that I waited so long to get a proper sewing machine for Knife Sheaths.  (I make 30-50 per year and this machine has honestly changed how I view leather working.)

I am now thinking about investing in a machine to sew thin leather for wallets or purses. (2-4oz maximum with 46 thread.)  I only do a couple of these per year, but I'd like to start doing them by machine. 

I don't want to mess with my Cobra Class 4 settings as 95% of my work is Knife Sheaths and right now it is sewing those amazingly well.  (Seriously, I cant believe how well Cobra set this machine up before sending it to me.)

I don't want to spend a bunch as my new Cobra with options, a Cobra Burnisher and shipping just set me back $7K here in Canada.  I can get a new-in-box Janome HD3000 Black Edition for $300 here from a friend, but I'm not sure it will stitch leather.  Used really isn't an option where I live as it is very remote and there is nothing on the used market. 

Will the HD3000 work?  If not, what are my best cost effective options. 

I can't answer your machine questions, but I do have a Newfoundland question. 
I spent 3 years in St. John's, going to Memorial U. Are you out 'round the bay in an outport somewhere? 

Honestly, unless you use pigskin lining leather to completely assemble your wallet, you're going to end up thicker then 2-4oz. I make my own interiors out of roo and mission grain pigskin and by the time you add an outershell, you're around 7-8oz. Make them out of 2-3oz veg tan, and up there a bit more. I wouldn't bother with that machine myself. I have a used Adler 67 that I use to assemble my interiors and a Chinese Shoe Patcher for putting the interiors and exteriors together.

6 minutes ago, DJole said:

I can't answer your machine questions, but I do have a Newfoundland question. 
I spent 3 years in St. John's, going to Memorial U. Are you out 'round the bay in an outport somewhere? 

I'm about 90 minutes outside St. John's. Good to see another MUN man here!

Sounds to me like you'll need one of the usual suspects - an upholstery-class walking foot. You'll be struggling with any domestic machine. An industrial straight-stitcher might do it (cheaper) but you could face issues with multiple layers not feeding properly.