Bmwmoa67707

Which Cylinder Arm Machine?

Am in the early stages of researching a cylinder arm machine for my wife, she makes purses as a hobby.  (she has and still does sell real estate professionally for the past 40 years, and making bags is great therapy for all the stress of the real estate business).  There are a lot of choices out there in machines, as well as where to purchase them.  She had a 1961 Pfaff 145 for the past 3 years or so to get her started, sold it last week only because the presser foot handle was just too much for a 73 year old lady with lots of arthritis in her hands to deal with, and now has a new Juki 1541s with the knee lift.  Purchased a Thor skiver about two years ago from Sunny Sewing Center in Dallas, and that has been a great addition.  Now the search is on for the right cylinder arm machine.....the ones under consideration are:

Typical 2263

Thor 1341

Techsew 2750 Pro

Techsew 2600 Pro

Obviously, servo motor, speed reducer, and needle position sensor (if it will work well) are the main necessary options.  Knee lift as well, but some have the foot lift...which is best? Her new Juki 1541S has the knee lift...

Next, is where and from whom to purchase?  There is Techsew, Sunny, Keystone, Sewing Machines Plus, Toledo, Nick-O-Sew, Solar, and probably many others.....

Any thoughts and recommendations from you experienced folks would truly be appreciated!

Thank you,

Steve

I would check with Alexander at Cowboy in Texas and Bob Kovar in Toledo as well.

glenn

Why not check with the company that you got the Juki 1541S from and see what they can offer, new or used in a Juki ls-1341.

kgg

Since you're in Missouri, have you considered Springfield Leather? They sell industrial leather sewing machines from Cobra and Highlead. I see they have a Cobra model 26 cylinder arm machine listed on the machinery pages. It is a medium duty walking foot machine that comes standard on a pedestal table on a square column with a foot lifter pedal on the right side of the speed pedal. The pedestal height can be lowered for use when seated (requiring readjusting the motor linkage and foot lifter chain).

I bought a cowboy 3200 from Alexander at Solar in Arlington, Tx. He gave me about an hour of hands on instruction when I picked up the machine.  Super good people and a great machine!  Good luck with your endeavor! Rodney 

On 12/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Since you're in Missouri, have you considered Springfield Leather? They sell industrial leather sewing machines from Cobra and Highlead. I see they have a Cobra model 26 cylinder arm machine listed on the machinery pages. It is a medium duty walking foot machine that comes standard on a pedestal table on a square column with a foot lifter pedal on the right side of the speed pedal. The pedestal height can be lowered for use when seated (requiring readjusting the motor linkage and foot lifter chain).

How big of a needle will your Techsew 2700 take?

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

How big of a needle will your Techsew 2700 take?

The maximum listed needle size it can clear is #24, but only with #138 thread top and bottom. The 2700 is a light duty machine and is not suited to tensioning heavy thread or holding down hard stacks of leather. If you want to use thicker thread, look into the Techsew 2750, or the Cowboy CB341, or the Cobra 26. They have larger bobbins and can handle #207 thread and a #24 needle without modification.

Think of the TS-2700 as a Singer 153 clone with reverse. The 153 uses the same G size bobbins as the 111w103,153,155 and156x walking foot machines. They are great for all kinds of upholstery, including motorcycle seats. The cylinder arm machines can produce leather caps, vests and jackets. As long as one doesn't overload the moving parts they could last almost forever.

Thanks for your input.  I'll look at the machines you mentioned.