Aurita

Newbie looking for sewing machine. Opinions on Sailrite?

Hello!

I've been doing some leathercrafts over the last two years with my father (mostly wallets and cases for things). We are really loving it and want to do some festivals to sell our work, but stitching by hand is so time consuming that we quickly ran out of product.

So we're looking for a heavy duty sewing machine! We had it narrowed down between two different one:

1. Cowboy Outlaw

2. Tippman

This was until we saw the Sailrite LSZ-1. We really like the price, asthetics, and the fact it can be hand cranked OR you can strap a motor to it.

Only problem we have is we're not sure this machine can handle stiching thick, sometimes hardened, vegetable-tan leather. We've seen videos of people sticking several layers of treated/soft leather in and stitching it with ease, but we don't want to get a machine that's almost a grand and find out we are limited to a certain leather and can't for example make a gun holster.

Anyone work with the Sailrite before? Anyone know it's limitations? Do you think it would be a good machine?

If you have any other machine suggestions, please feel free to let me know :)

Edited by Aurita

If you are looking for heavy duty, consider there is a large difference in price for a reason. No "heavy duty" leather sewing machine will come with a zig-zag stitch, it's just not used. Foot lift is only 3/8". A lined gun holster will put that machine to its max capacity.

"We trust that if you’re looking at this machine, your main purchase will be to sew through thick fabric"

Thick fabric to them is 10 layers of denim. The consistency of denim and the consistency of leather are totally different. It also has a max thread size of v92 and most holster makers use v207 or v277.  If you were making chaps and jackets/vests, I'd say it might be okay but you mentioned gun holsters so I'm going to say no. Spend the extra and get something that will handle it.

1 hour ago, Aurita said:

So we're looking for a heavy duty sewing machine!

The two one-arm bandits are heavy duty and will do holster type work where as the Sailrite is basically meant to do much thinner material like canvas. Keep in mind that no one machine is going to do everything. If you are doing wallets buy brand name (Juki) upholstery grade machine or if doing holsters buy a 441 type machine.

kgg

On 12/15/2019 at 9:39 AM, Halitech said:

If you are looking for heavy duty, consider there is a large difference in price for a reason. No "heavy duty" leather sewing machine will come with a zig-zag stitch, it's just not used. Foot lift is only 3/8". A lined gun holster will put that machine to its max capacity.

"We trust that if you’re looking at this machine, your main purchase will be to sew through thick fabric"

Thick fabric to them is 10 layers of denim. The consistency of denim and the consistency of leather are totally different. It also has a max thread size of v92 and most holster makers use v207 or v277.  If you were making chaps and jackets/vests, I'd say it might be okay but you mentioned gun holsters so I'm going to say no. Spend the extra and get something that will handle it.

Thank you for the response! As I feared it may not be the right fit.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:00 AM, Northmount said:

@Aurita Have you read and studied this post? 

If not, I recommend you do so.

I'm moving this thread to leather sewing machines.

Tom

I have not. I asked this question on Reddit and was recommended this site :). Sorry for me jumping the gun with this post. I will study that post now! Thank you!

I own the the Sailrite LZ1 and in many respects is an excellent little machine. But as mentioned above the foot lift height is very restrictive and the working area under the arm is very limiting. I have sewn veg tan leather to canvas before and it struggled a fair bit. I think you would become quickly frustrated with it. I now use either a Seiko walking foot (same as Singer 111) or my 441. You really do need the right machine for the job.

good luck

Nick

If you're looking for a heavy duty sewing machine then pay your attention to Tippmann Boss model. It can sew through the leather of up to 3/4″ thickness. But, this machine is somewhat expensive. Today it costs $ 1,350 on Amazon. 

I have had a Tippmann and the Outlaw looks pretty similar.  The Cowboy 3500 head only machine can be purchased with a manual operation setup for not much more than either the Tippman nor the Outlaw.  For a little more you can get it with the table, servo and accessories.  IMHO the triple feed walking foot Cowboy far out classes the Tippmann and the Outlaw.