dikman

441 lift lever extension

I've ordered a drop-down edge guide and knew i would need an extension for the lift lever. I bored out a suitable piece of steel rod to fit over the existing shaft and tapped it for a couple of grub screws. So far so good. My intention was to refit the original rod/knob assembly by tapping a hole in the end of the extension but then I found it's an odd-size (to me) thread - M6x0.7. The closest I had was 0.75 pitch! I was faced with making a new shaft/knob, not difficult but more work. Then last night it suddenly occurred to me that all I had to do was turn down the end of the shaft to take the original fitting. Doh!! Sometimes I just miss the obvious by trying to be too clever.:rolleyes2:

The bracket at the back is waiting for the guide before drilling any mounting holes.

441 lift extension a.jpg

Looks good to me and thanks for sharing.:wave:

You boys might be overthinkin it a bit.  Not that there's anything wrong with thinking.... usually find a SHORTAGE of thought with most folks :rofl:

Back to the lift thingie.... I unscrewed that cheap little lever that came with it, threw it in a drawer.  Then,... well, then nothing.  If you need the presser foot lifted there's a PEDAL for that. 

Somebody now will say, "but i want it to STAY up" (for whatever reason - I'm not sure what that would be).  Fair enough.  There are many ways of doing that, TWO are quite obvious.

• If you step on the pedal, the pressure is taken off the top (lever) lift, allowing you to rotate it up - without a handle - as effortlessly as turning up your stereo volume.  It will stay up until you release it. or,
  • Get a girl whose sole job is to stand beside the machine.  Get one who understands both "put your foot right there" and "take your foot off that".  Try not to obsess about dress codes 'n' such.. again, that overthinking thing, right?  But if you get stuck on this, the first option WILL work.

:lol:

Actually, the thought that I don't need it 'cos I've got the foot lifter had occurred to me, but where's the fun in that? I'm always looking for an excuse to turn things on the lathe.:)

Your second option might meet with a bit of opposition from my wife!

18 hours ago, dikman said:

I'm always looking for an excuse to turn things on the lathe.:)

Fair enough ;)  I "turned things on a lathe" for enough years I don't really care ta do it no mo if I kin help it.