Rossr

Most recent knife and sheath

Just finished off the sheath today.  Just some simple border work and stamped initials.  Rolled deer skin lining.  Wicket Craig skirting.   I got off a bit stitching the belt loop in place but that's just me being critical.  

Made the knife too.  O-1 tool steel.  Antler handle in between damascus.  I dont make my own damascu but i did shape it etch etc.  

Hope you all dont mind me continuing to post these up I realize sheaths dont change much just the carving.or tooling on them.  

20200106_182531.jpg

20200106_182633.jpg

20200106_182544.jpg

I like them, keep sharing.  The green on brown is a cool color combo, especially with the contrast stitching.  

I do have a question though.  I made a butterfly sheath like for a knife I have,  but everytime I try to return the knife to the sheath, it catches on the opening and slices the inside.  How do you prevent this from happening?  Also, the first stitch down the side but through the rolled edge:  do you find it pulls the rolled leather in an unseemly manner, or is this a non issue?

YinTx

47 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I like them, keep sharing.  The green on brown is a cool color combo, especially with the contrast stitching.  

I do have a question though.  I made a butterfly sheath like for a knife I have,  but everytime I try to return the knife to the sheath, it catches on the opening and slices the inside.  How do you prevent this from happening?  Also, the first stitch down the side but through the rolled edge:  do you find it pulls the rolled leather in an unseemly manner, or is this a non issue?

YinTx

Ok just my thoughts on the opening.  When I put the knife in the first time it's usually just a shade damp from stamping.  So it sets it open some  I let it dry over night .  Attached are pics of the opening and side view of this one.  In reality I can still easily  miss and slice the liner.  I sliced a pouch sheath a bit one time no liner just the vegtan when I took my eyes off it as I pushed it in while it was on my belt. So I think my answer is make sure the opening is enough, still needs to be tight though.  Then it's a matter of staying vigilant when replacing the blade.  In regards to the roled lining stitch.  That is tricky I have had it squish too much. I now try to center it best I can which helps.  I am also not sure I need to go that high but the welt is up ther so I want a good closure.  Remember I am using a needle awl machine so maybe the pressure on the foot causes issues too.   I seem to like too finish there rather than start which seems to help but may just be me.  On the belt loop the reason the stitch is off I got out on the rolled part and didnt want to run down just that and get both a weaker hold and that squish effect. So I chose to move back in and catch the skirting leather too.

Hope that all makes sense

20200106_221219.jpg

20200106_221213.jpg

13 minutes ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

That knife is sweeet!

nick

Thanks Nick 

Edited by Rossr

1 hour ago, Retswerb said:

Keep posting, I love seeing them. I’d say this is one of the nicest rolled edges I’ve seen.

Will do and Thanks 

Nice work Rossr.  I have always admired folks that had multiple skills and the ability to combine them.  Is that Damascus steel I see?  Based upon the shape of the handle I'll be it fits perfectly in the hand.

2 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Nice work Rossr.  I have always admired folks that had multiple skills and the ability to combine them.  Is that Damascus steel I see?  Based upon the shape of the handle I'll be it fits perfectly in the hand.

Thanks.  I think I just like making and learning new things.   I just keep trying.

Yes that is Damascus.  I have never tried to make damascus that's a whole.other set of skills.  I think I bought that from Alabama damascus.  Its sold as a flat sheet you can then cut shape and in this case I made the bolsters.  Lastly I etched it in acid to bring the pattern out. 

Ross

2 hours ago, Rossr said:

Thanks.  I think I just like making and learning new things.   I just keep trying.

Yes that is Damascus.  I have never tried to make damascus that's a whole.other set of skills.  I think I bought that from Alabama damascus.  Its sold as a flat sheet you can then cut shape and in this case I made the bolsters.  Lastly I etched it in acid to bring the pattern out. 

Ross

Very cool.  I didn't know about the acid process.  I guess I assumed that the grinding and/or polishing would suffice.  Have you attempted to use the Damascus for a blade?  I saw some that had been done by I think a Japanese or Korean manufacturer that looked beautiful.

Both a very well done, I love a flat grind blade.

40 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Very cool.  I didn't know about the acid process.  I guess I assumed that the grinding and/or polishing would suffice.  Have you attempted to use the Damascus for a blade?  I saw some that had been done by I think a Japanese or Korean manufacturer that looked beautiful.

I have made a few blades out of damascus. There is for sure some beautiful stuff out there.  Regarding the etch. When you grind and polish damascus it get shiny and the pattern isn't distinct . If you catch it in the right light you can see it a bit.  My limited understanding is the acid eats away the softer metal and there are some color differences between the different  combined steels.  So that etch brings out the pattern.  Damascus is a combination of different steels forged together and twisted or folded to make a pattern.  I'm no expert so dont quote me but that's what I understand 

20 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I do as well. Thanks for the compliment 

Edited by Rossr

11 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I do as well. Thanks for the compliment