Treesner

strong rivet reinforcement for webbing

what kind/size of rivet would you recommend for reinforcing this MOLLE webbing belt? It's just stitched on the top and the weight of the bag that gets strapped into the webbing rips it (found out on my previous one). Wondering how I could reinforce it better 

thanks

IMG_9674.thumb.jpg.eadb97461df26bb67d090f3d401ae058.jpg

three things come to mind good old copper rivet, Chicago screws with a washer on both sides or just have someone sew it correctly. if you use rivets make the holes in the webbing with red hot nail or some such the same size as the rivet or it will fray and tear out also. My hunting pack did the same thing, I just sewed mine  correctly and it works great. You need tools for the copper rivets, the Chicago screws need some lock-tight and be sure they tighten against the fabric good or they wont help much either. REsewing would be the best IMO I think maybe even add some more material if you think it needs it.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:29 PM, chuck123wapati said:

three things come to mind good old copper rivet, Chicago screws with a washer on both sides or just have someone sew it correctly. if you use rivets make the holes in the webbing with red hot nail or some such the same size as the rivet or it will fray and tear out also. My hunting pack did the same thing, I just sewed mine  correctly and it works great. You need tools for the copper rivets, the Chicago screws need some lock-tight and be sure they tighten against the fabric good or they wont help much either. REsewing would be the best IMO I think maybe even add some more material if you think it needs it.

yeah I guess I could just resew it

would the double cap rivets do much? they seem like they might not be wide enough to hold the material down 

Treesner, . . . go to your local Joann Fabric store, . . . get this thread, . . .

https://www.joann.com/coats-clark-outdoor-200yd-thread/zprd_11744323a.html#q=Coats &start=1

Saddle stitch it at about 6 stitches per inch, . . . and the nylon will rip  to the devil and back before you tear out these stitches, . . . unless you are packing anvils or some such.

I gave up regular thread years ago and use this exclusively for stuff I sew on my sewing machine (regular type), . . . only problem is if I have to take the seam out, . . . it has to be cut, razor cut, all the way.

May God bless,

Dwight

10 hours ago, Treesner said:

yeah I guess I could just resew it

would the double cap rivets do much? they seem like they might not be wide enough to hold the material down 

I think rivets would eventually loosen up in fabric then they just pop through the hole that's why you don't see it done a lot , sewing is the best for fabrics and webbing imo You do it right and you'll never have a problem.

the surrounding material needs to be sewn

for heavy canvas use a #22 needle and #138 thread

for light canvas use a #20 needle and #69 or #92 thread

if the canvas is a pvc or nylon canvas the hole needs to be singed before a rivet is inserted

if it is a cotton /cloth canvas it needs to be sewn around the rivet to keep the material from shredding

here is a rivet i removed from an italian holster

you can see i singed the hole by heating a screwdriver and inserting it into the hole

20200111_174359.jpg

20200111_174318.jpg

Edited by Frodo

On 1/16/2020 at 3:52 AM, Frodo said:

the surrounding material needs to be sewn

for heavy canvas use a #22 needle and #138 thread

for light canvas use a #20 needle and #69 or #92 thread

if the canvas is a pvc or nylon canvas the hole needs to be singed before a rivet is inserted

if it is a cotton /cloth canvas it needs to be sewn around the rivet to keep the material from shredding

here is a rivet i removed from an italian holster

you can see i singed the hole by heating a screwdriver and inserting it into the hole

20200111_174359.jpg

20200111_174318.jpg

thanks I think I use  v69 bonded nylon thread in my sailrite machine 

when singing the hole do you think just using one of those jet lighters is fine? thats what I usually do before setting in webbing seems to work 

On 1/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, Dwight said:

Treesner, . . . go to your local Joann Fabric store, . . . get this thread, . . .

https://www.joann.com/coats-clark-outdoor-200yd-thread/zprd_11744323a.html#q=Coats &start=1

Saddle stitch it at about 6 stitches per inch, . . . and the nylon will rip  to the devil and back before you tear out these stitches, . . . unless you are packing anvils or some such.

I gave up regular thread years ago and use this exclusively for stuff I sew on my sewing machine (regular type), . . . only problem is if I have to take the seam out, . . . it has to be cut, razor cut, all the way.

May God bless,

Dwight

nice I think I might have used that stuff before I got the sailrite that could handle heavier thread I use v69 bonded nylon thread with like a 20 or 22 needle

18 minutes ago, Treesner said:

when singing the hole do you think just using one of those jet lighters is fine? thats what I usually do before setting in webbing seems to work 

Don't try and melt the hole with the lighter, get a nail or screwdriver, something metal and heat that up with  your lighter really hot, itll go through like butter and make sure its the same size as your rivet so you get a tight fit!

How come I was not issued a like button?

thumbsup.gif