Jump to content
Alexis1234

Box loop Stapler - Need harness maker's help!

Recommended Posts

I have been in search of a stapler for doing long box loops on driving bridles for several months(posted about this before)..  I have never seen one in person and there is very little information/pics available online. Standard Rivet doesn't have them anymore.  I can buy the anvil for doing them used... can someone that uses them for harness work specifically,( not belt keepers) enlighten me? I already have a hand held stapler for belt type loose keepers, that's not what I'm looking for...  how hard is it to get the head/ foot press if I buy anvil used? Thanks for any input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sew all of mine, as it avoids the corrosion problem.  Have you considered that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Alexis1234 said:

I have been in search of a stapler for doing long box loops on driving bridles for several months(posted about this before)..  I have never seen one in person and there is very little information/pics available online. Standard Rivet doesn't have them anymore.  I can buy the anvil for doing them used... can someone that uses them for harness work specifically,( not belt keepers) enlighten me? I already have a hand held stapler for belt type loose keepers, that's not what I'm looking for...  how hard is it to get the head/ foot press if I buy anvil used? Thanks for any input!

Have you talked to Tim at SX?  He worked for standard for years before he started Timco, and is a pretty knowledgeable guy.  The #2 foot presses aren't that hard to find.  The box loop staple part is a little less common.  Fwiw, the #2 setup works only marginally well.  On heavier stuff, you will end up frustrated.  Part of it is the staples were forced to buy.  I have a little better luck with the stapler that Beilers sells.

12 minutes ago, SaddleBags said:

I sew all of mine, as it avoids the corrosion problem.  Have you considered that?

You do know that the OP is referring to harness bridle cheeks that can be.up to 8 inches long? That is a job to hand sew those things in, and there are only a select few people in the country. . .too few. . .willing to pay for the time it takes to hand stitch all the box loops on a harness.  The very top end harnesses have all hand stitched box loops but on even mid level harness, you can't get your time back of the product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SaddleBags said:

I sew all of mine, as it avoids the corrosion problem.  Have you considered that?

Yes, I currently hand sew all keepers. I have several very pretty long  cheek  and tug dies that I would like to use.. I am familiar with how to sew them- going thru the face and using a die to cover up the holes. My problem is- I can't justify fiddling with them that long - very time consuming! I will hand sew them if forced to though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

Have you talked to Tim at SX?  He worked for standard for years before he started Timco, and is a pretty knowledgeable guy.  The #2 foot presses aren't that hard to find.  The box loop staple part is a little less common.  Fwiw, the #2 setup works only marginally well.  On heavier stuff, you will end up frustrated.  Part of it is the staples were forced to buy.  I have a little better luck with the stapler that Beilers sells.

You do know that the OP is referring to harness bridle cheeks that can be.up to 8 inches long? That is a job to hand sew those things in, and there are only a select few people in the country. . .too few. . .willing to pay for the time it takes to hand stitch all the box loops on a harness.  The very top end harnesses have all hand stitched box loops but on even mid level harness, you can't get your time back of the product.

I am not familiar with SX.  Do you recommend I contact Beilers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

I am not familiar with SX.  Do you recommend I contact Beilers? 

Yes I would.  Their press is better than the newer #2 machines anyway, and several other attachments are available for Beiler's machine.

SX is SX industries.  They carry spots, conchos, and I think they have staples.  They have ventured I to the machine manufacturing a bit, I believe.  Actually, I would give him a call before Beilers and just pick his brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The press Tim sells is the same one from Beilers, but he sets it up and makes sure it does what you want it to. The stapler parts I have are made for a standard rivet machine. These are them 

A7202D73-6D29-4DD2-9D87-B0B1A352EC0B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give him a call on Monday. Thanks everyone for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi have you looked at this site may have what you are looking for if not contact them may know some where that can help.

https://aaronmartin.com/index.html

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

https://aaronmartin.com/product.php?cat_id=1534&submit=View&catview=20&s=Harness Maker Tools&catview2=&catview3=&s2=&s3= 

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have a standard rivet #2 one that i would sell that's on a base, but i'm all the way in NH. but id want to sell these "Bowtie" browband chain links, and dies that I have. Bought 1,000 chrome and 1,000 brass. I have the loop iron and driver part as well as a bag of ss powder coated black staples

-Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually just bought one from Canada last week- but thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...