sinpac

Resurrecting an Old Stitching Horse

The bottom of this was completing trash. Managed to save the seat and jaws. The seat is made of Walnut and the jaws, maybe maple(?) I don't know how old it is and I don't know where it came from. On the top of the jaws, I see no glue residue or nail holes so no leather on the jaws. Which I can only think it was used on a farm or a ranch tack room.  It looks to be hand made not by any company like J.D. Randall

c1.jpg

cc1.jpg

ccc1.jpg

Great find That will be a fun and worthy project to work on indeed.

31 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Great find That will be a fun and worthy project to work on indeed.

I really enjoy restoring thing back to usable function. I always get a laugh when I finish a restoration and people ask what I am going to do with it? I tell them I am going to use it. They always say, What? I say I don't do this so they can sit on a shelf.

1 minute ago, sinpac said:

I really enjoy restoring thing back to usable function. I always get a laugh when I finish a restoration and people ask what I am going to do with it? I tell them I am going to use it. They always say, What? I say I don't do this so they can sit on a shelf.

My sentiments exactly. Some of the older stuff is so far ahead in quality of the new disposable crap it isn't even funny.

21 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

My sentiments exactly. Some of the older stuff is so far ahead in quality of the new disposable crap it isn't even funny.

I tell you a funny story. This guy was sell a vintage tap and die set. He had it listed for 75 bucks buy me now or make an offer. So not really knowing the conditions of the taps or dies as far as sharpness I offered him 25 bucks. He comes back at me with, Are you serious. These were my grandpa's and they are made in the U.S.A and that his grandpa was a great DIY guy and there was no way I am letting you have then for 25 bucks. I guess I could have let it drop there, but that not my style. So I replied with. If these mean that much to you why are you selling them. Are they a national treasure or maybe used in fixing something for someone who was famous? Because Bud they just look like a tap and die set to me. I told him the bottom line here is I need the set because of the sizes. It will be used for what it was made for. What would your grandpa rather see? The set sitting somewhere rusting away or being used by a guy who will use them and take care of them with the same care he did? I told him I don't buy tools to be put on display. If I can't use them they are no use to me.  He took the offer with a note saying I hope they service you as well as they did my Grandpa.

Edited by sinpac

14 minutes ago, sinpac said:

I tell you a funny story. This guy was sell a vintage tap and die set. He had it listed for 75 bucks buy me now or make an offer. So not really knowing the conditions of the taps or dies as far as sharpness I offered him 25 bucks. He comes back at me with, Are you serious. These were my grandpa's and they are made in the U.S.A and that his grandpa was a great DIY guy and there was no way I am letting you have then for 25 bucks. I guess I could have let it drop there, but that not my style. So I replied with. If these mean that much to you why are you selling them. Are they a national treasure or maybe used in fixing something for someone who was famous? Because Bud they just look like a tap and die set to me. I told him the bottom line here is I need the set because of the sizes. It will be used for what it was made for. What would your grandpa rather see? The set sitting somewhere rusting away or being used by a guy who will use them and take care of them with the same care he did? I told him I don't buy tools to be put on display. If I can't use them they are no use to me.  He took the offer with a note saying I hope they service you as well as they did my Grandpa.

Lol that is a great story I did something similar with an early sunbeam mixer at a yard sale the guy says it was my grandmothers but might make a good paint mixer or something, I says its gonna make a good food mixer it has run for almost a hundred years and it will run for another, I slapped in some new brushes a cord and some new food grade gear lube and she is good as new and still running strong 10 years later all for five bucks. Not to mention all the attachments I have picked up for pennies. Gotta love the throw away generations mentality.

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Lol that is a great story I did something similar with an early sunbeam mixer at a yard sale the guy says it was my grandmothers but might make a good paint mixer or something, I says its gonna make a good food mixer it has run for almost a hundred years and it will run for another, I slapped in some new brushes a cord and some new food grade gear lube and she is good as new and still running strong 10 years later all for five bucks. Not to mention all the attachments I have picked up for pennies. Gotta love the throw away generations mentality.

It amazing what a guy can do if he is willing to turn a wrench or a screwdriver. With little effort, some brushes, lube and a cord. You have a mixer for five buck that will last another 100 years or you could have spent 40 to 50 bucks on a new one that would be completely worthless in a few years because I guarantee something catastrophic would happen to that mixer. Oh btw that tap and die set came in it's original wooden box with a spot for every tap and every die. They were sharp and not a spec of rust to be seen. There was one replacement die in the set. Over all the man took care of his tools. But then again I have noticed folks that went through the great depression cherish the things they had.

13 minutes ago, sinpac said:

It amazing what a guy can do if he is willing to turn a wrench or a screwdriver. With little effort, some brushes, lube and a cord. You have a mixer for five buck that will last another 100 years or you could have spent 40 to 50 bucks on a new one that would be completely worthless in a few years because I guarantee something catastrophic would happen to that mixer. Oh btw that tap and die set came in it's original wooden box with a spot for every tap and every die. They were sharp and not a spec of rust to be seen. There was one replacement die in the set. Over all the man took care of his tools. But then again I have noticed folks that went through the great depression cherish the things they had.

I asked my grand ma what going through the depression was like one time, she told me well we didn't have much before so it wasn't much different, lol my dad born in 1924 was a mechanic and yea if I couldn't fix my stuff then he showed me how he didn't throw it away and get a new one. I still have most of his tools in fact he was a certified Chrysler Master mechanic and every year would be given a set of gold plated tools of some type, punches, wrenches, etc. Guess where they went, yup in his tool box. not a bit o gold left on any of em. 

10 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I asked my grand ma what going through the depression was like one time, she told me well we didn't have much before so it wasn't much different, lol my dad born in 1924 was a mechanic and yea if I couldn't fix my stuff then he showed me how he didn't throw it away and get a new one. I still have most of his tools in fact he was a certified Chrysler Master mechanic and every year would be given a set of gold plated tools of some type, punches, wrenches, etc. Guess where they went, yup in his tool box. not a bit o gold left on any of em. 

That's funny. I remember my Grandpa telling me he walked to a one room school house, bare footed, in the snow and uphill both ways. LOL The story that man would tell me. Mostly the truth with a little  B.S. sprinkled on top. LOL Just to sweeten it up, meanwhile my Grandma in the background saying James Harrison stop with the tall tales. LOL My Grandfather was a Bus Mechanic

Edited by sinpac

1 hour ago, sinpac said:

That's funny. I remember my Grandpa telling me he walked to a one room school house, bare footed, in the snow and uphill both ways. 

He musta went to the same school as my Grandpa lol.

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

He musta went to the same school as my Grandpa lol.

LOL

I love hearing these stories. People with nothing. Yet with everything that matters. My grandfather crossed Canada by train car at age 12. Faught in ww2. Same as all from that generation. Never threw anything out. My dad was the same way. Seemed to be able to make and fix anything. And usually make and fix it out of nothing!. 

Man, I would love to have something like that myself!

Great find!

Vikefan

24 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I love hearing these stories. People with nothing. Yet with everything that matters. My grandfather crossed Canada by train car at age 12. Faught in ww2. Same as all from that generation. Never threw anything out. My dad was the same way. Seemed to be able to make and fix anything. And usually make and fix it out of nothing!. 

I have always been told, I was born in the wrong era. It's good to see that there are some folks here like minded.

3 minutes ago, Vikefan said:

Man, I would love to have something like that myself!

Great find!

Vikefan

It was one of those "I wasn't looking for a stitching horse" I walked past it and said to myself NO leave it alone, it's to far gone. Next thing I know I am at the counter haggling with the guy. SMH :unsure: LOL

I am a guy that likes to re-purpose stuff, especially if it can be used again, in a new life doing the same work or similar work.

I like antiques too!

I like to see things restored/repurposed.  We have become such a throw away society, and quality has decreased.  Our landfills are overflowing.  New and shiny isn't necessarily better.