Hardrada

Finishes for Smooth Chrome-tan?

What's best to use for stuff like Chromexcel and Heritage leathers? For veg-tan I've been using Fiebing's Leather Balm with Atom Wax, but I'm unsure what to use on these chrome tanned leathers.

Any ideas?

TIA

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

I'm unsure what to use on these chrome tanned leathers.

I use several different types of chrome tanned leathers, and I typically don't use anything, just let the leather age naturally. But when it does need protection, I'll use something like Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner with beeswax. It will help keep the leather from picking up nicks and scrapes.

615pLL9eNML._SL1500_.jpg

Excellent! Thanks!

Yes, this leather (Heritage) looks basically finished. I applied Leather Balm, Carnauba Cream, and Aussie to patches and it didn't seem to me to make a noticeable difference. If Aussie is the way to go, then I'm set!

I agree with @LatigoAmigo above in that chrome tanned leathers don't really require a finish. However I would like to make the point that Fiebings Aussie, like all similar dubbins, is a dressing rather than a finish. Definitely a "working" grease or dressing it lubricates the fibres of most leathers very well and helps to resist dirt and moisture ingress but it's no finish as it doesn't form a coating.

Is it mandatory to use Fiebing's Saddle Soap prior to Aussie, as it says in their instructions, for brand new leather? It's already clean, innit?

22 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

Is it mandatory to use Fiebing's Saddle Soap prior to Aussie, as it says in their instructions, for brand new leather? It's already clean, innit?

I always do it, because the surface of the leather could have been affected by handling prior to purchasing. Plus, it will remove any excess coloring agent from the finish, allowing Aussie to better penetrate. I prefer either Farnam's New Saddle Soap Foam and Farnam's New Glycerine Saddle Soap (Spray). I find that they are easier to apply and gentler to the surface of the leather.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Interesting. In case I can't find Farnam's in Canada, is there any difference between the yellow and the white saddle soap from Fiebing's?

This is probably a stupid question, but for peace of mind, neither the soap nor the Aussie will lift colour from the leather, right?

When I've used Leather Balm I've noticed the towel I use to wipe off the excess gets a stain the colour of whichever leather I'm treating.

7 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

neither the soap nor the Aussie will lift colour from the leather, right?

They will typically remove some color and leave the leather darker, but it depends on the leather in question. Not all hides respond the same way, even when they are the same type of hide from the same supplier. It really has to do with the specific hide in question. It is better to wipe off the excess color than have the excess color rub off on your customer.

Edited by LatigoAmigo