Plainsman

Ideas for a leather sheath?

I have and carry a Tops ATAX but dont like the metal belt clips which are starting to loosen from years of use. https://www.topsknives.com/atax

I’m thinking of either removing the clips and making a leather attachment system or build a completely new leather sheath.  However, designing something practical out of leather escapes me.  Any/all input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

That is a very interesting tool.  The first thing that came to mind was to fashion a cover for the main blade similar to the ones that folks make for their round knives.  The way the tool appears to me, the side with the blade is the main area where you need protection.  Maybe you could fashion a "pancake-style" backing and then attach an additional piece onto the front of it that the tool would slide down into.  Then it could be a matter of having a strap with a snap closure to secure it into position.  

This is more or less what I would do.

It would be vegetable tanned leather, . . . probably 8/9 oz with full outline welt, . . . top piece folds over and snaps (yellow circles).

Back would have two belt loops, . . . they could be snapped on, . . .it would be a "owner's choice" thing.

May God bless,

Dwight

sheath.jpg

My idea.  First time I tried this and I have a lot to learn.....

Atax Sheath Idea.jpg

Thanks guys!

Definitely NOT what I was thinking and better than my ideas! :)

Ill do some playing with these and see where I end up!

Thanks much!

I'd think you'd probably want to use a stiffener of some sort.   The sheath might curve around your waist with your belt while the knife is out, making it harder to re-sheath it.

- Bill

31 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I'd think you'd probably want to use a stiffener of some sort.   The sheath might curve around your waist with your belt while the knife is out, making it harder to re-sheath it.

- Bill

If you do the "pancake" style it would be easy to stiffen the center section and leave the "wings" where the belt goes through loose and able to conform.  Good idea!

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

If you do the "pancake" style it would be easy to stiffen the center section and leave the "wings" where the belt goes through loose and able to conform.  Good idea!

Doing the pancake style will cause some headaches, . . . a simple slotted back, . . .  or straps coming off the back fairly close together, . . . allows the sheath to stay straighter.

The point where you wear it will also add to that.  Wearing it directly above a rear pocket would not cause much stress on the ends of the sheath, . . . as well as above a front jeans pocket, . . . in gun parley its called appendix carry.

Carrying it on the point of either hip (3 o'clock or 9 o'clock) is where the stress and bending will come in, . . . especially with the pancake.

Also, . . . if you do the pancake style, . . . remember to put a welt in all the way around that blade, . . . otherwise,  . . . in time, it will cut the stitches you are trying to use to hold the whole thing together.

The pancake style with the little snap belt coming around the handle, . . . it will also forever be a nuisance, . . . trying to get the knife out or putting it back in without cutting those straps off.

May God bless, 

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

9 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Doing the pancake style will cause some headaches, . . . a simple slotted back, . . .  or straps coming off the back fairly close together, . . . allows the sheath to stay straighter.

The point where you wear it will also add to that.  Wearing it directly above a rear pocket would not cause much stress on the ends of the sheath, . . . as well as above a front jeans pocket, . . . in gun parley its called appendix carry.

Carrying it on the point of either hip (3 o'clock or 9 o'clock) is where the stress and bending will come in, . . . especially with the pancake.

Also, . . . if you do the pancake style, . . . remember to put a welt in all the way around that blade, . . . otherwise,  . . . in time, it will cut the stitches you are trying to use to hold the whole thing together.

The pancake style with the little snap belt coming around the handle, . . . it will also forever be a nuisance, . . . trying to get the knife out or putting it back in without cutting those straps off.

May God bless, 

Dwight

I'm sure you're right on all counts.  You have waaaaay more experience with these sorts of things.  I threw it out there to stimulate ideas mostly.  Sometimes ideas serve to show what not to do.  If that describes my idea, I'm happy to have helped!  Lol.

Take a look at hatchet sheathes. I think you could adapt the design to work very well.

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

May God bless, 

Dwight

Not to mention ... Another factor is that some of us are decidedly rounder than others.     

- Bill