JeannieH

Oiling a Zoje 2628

Hi. I have a Zoje 2628 binding machine. I looked at the manual and it says to fill oil up to the first red line. It shows a screw I’m assuming is under the machine?

the machine is just sitting on two bars that are bolted down. It doesn’t have a hinge where I can lean it back. Will I be fine just putting oil in the holes marked red....or do I need to get the oil filled up in this reservoir like the manual says? 

699898BE-4CD4-4D3C-8592-1D3BDF85A4D6.png

91EE9205-6E2F-425B-9BD4-493FD55A9FC3.jpeg

F50E09C2-DECA-4BAD-B8ED-0AC0C2745583.jpeg

It appears your RED line have turned, if you can see oil in the window about the same distance as the first Red line all should be good.

I cannot see any oil in the window or is it just the photo?

Bert.

This machine seems to be not wide spread here. Looks like it is designed as high speed binding machine. Leather work usually is NOT high speed sewing. I think I would fill up the reservoir as stated in the manual. You probably have to remove the head from the reservoir to fill it up. However I´m not sure if the oil pump will distribute enough oil when sewing short seems at low speed. Usually the oil pumps need a certain sewing speed. If it was my machine I would not rely on the oil pump system (Manual also does not say where the oil goes to and if certain areas require manual oiling) I don´t know the technical details of the 2628. Not sure if and where it has oil holes but I would oil it manually.

13 hours ago, Bert51 said:

It appears your RED line have turned, if you can see oil in the window about the same distance as the first Red line all should be good.

I cannot see any oil in the window or is it just the photo?

Bert.

Sorry my image is sideways. I don’t see any oil in the window.

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

This machine seems to be not wide spread here. Looks like it is designed as high speed binding machine. Leather work usually is NOT high speed sewing. I think I would fill up the reservoir as stated in the manual. You probably have to remove the head from the reservoir to fill it up. However I´m not sure if the oil pump will distribute enough oil when sewing short seems at low speed. Usually the oil pumps need a certain sewing speed. If it was my machine I would not rely on the oil pump system (Manual also does not say where the oil goes to and if certain areas require manual oiling) I don´t know the technical details of the 2628. Not sure if and where it has oil holes but I would oil it manually.

Hi. It does have oil holes. Only three marked with red.

95EBBA77-AF19-4E96-B59E-713311119A34.jpeg

I also have one more little thing bothering me lol. My consew 227r2 is fairly new. I remember when I first got it it ran quieter..like a smoother sound. I’m just getting back to using it and it doesn’t sound the same. I know it’s hard to help with this if you aren’t in person, but to you guys does it sound like something isn’t right? 

reg. Video - seems you are using the a wrong size bobbin in this machine. I think that's where the "rattly ringing" sound comes from.

23 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

reg. Video - seems you are using the a wrong size bobbin in this machine. I think that's where the "rattly ringing" sound comes from.

Oh ok...let me see if I have other sizes to see if that fixes it. 

Bobbins should be standard Singer bobbins of ~ 22mm diameter and ~10.3mm height - they fit for a lot of machines. Parts # is 203470

Edited by Constabulary

I put a bigger bobbin in and it still made the sound. Here is a video with it out. Should the bobbin assembly/holder be this loose? I know I’m not crazy. I don’t remember it sounding like this. I did have a homemade speed reduced on it for a while. But, I do t see that causing any problems. Right now just the one belt is on it.

2 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

I put a bigger bobbin in and it still made the sound. Here is a video with it out. Should the bobbin assembly/holder be this loose? I know I’m not crazy. I don’t remember it sounding like this. I did have a homemade speed reduced on it for a while. But, I do t see that causing any problems. Right now just the one belt is on it.

This is my speed reduced setup. I’ve had it on the machine maybe 3 days after buying it. 

31796908-533C-473D-B65B-DE36804E02BB.jpeg

that's a different sound and sounds normal to me, the small lever on the front left is the bobbin case opener and it pulls back the bobbin case slightly to make room for the thread and the small tongue that goes in the notch of the throat plate is making a sound too when touching left and right side of the notch.

the sound at high speed in the other video (sounds ringing - kind of) is because of the too small bobbin I´d say.

Edited by Constabulary

1 minute ago, Constabulary said:

that's a different sound and sounds normal to me, the small lever on the front left is the bobbin case opener and it pulls back the bobbin case slightly to make room for the thread and the small tongue that goes in the notch of the throat plate is making a sound too when touching left and right side of the notch.

1 minute ago, Constabulary said:

Ok! I was just typing that the sound looks like it’s coming from that piece you are referring to hitting the bobbin vase notch thing..lol I don’t know the names of the parts. Ok I will stop worrying over it and move on. The machine does sound different though lol. I haven’t seen on it a lot so I was expecting it to sound like day one.

So as far as the oiling...I should just put oil in the three holes marked red periodically? Since I won’t be sewing at high rpms like the machine is designed for?

Thread the machine leave the slide cover open, crank the machine by hand and watch the thread - you will notice what the bobbin case opener is for and what it mechanically does.

Put a drip of oil between bobbin case and hook and maybe oil the whole machine ;)

EDIT:

reg. oiling the 2628 - the oiling should pretty much the same as on your 227. Not sure what the manual says but there are a lot more spots you should oil regularly .

Edited by Constabulary

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Thread the machine leave the slide cover open, crank the machine by hand and watch the thread - you will notice what the bobbin case opener is for and what it mechanically does.

Put a drip of oil between bobbin case and hook and maybe oil the whole machine ;)

Appreciate it! Almost finished with the bag so I can get some critique on it!

Referring to the noise, sometimes the mind plays tricks on us, and when you haven't used something (particularly mechanical) for a while and come back to it you can suddenly notice a noise that was always there but you weren't aware of it before. And walking foot machines are a bit noisy simply because of their nature. It sounds ok to me.

Oiling - use the oil holes but take off all the removable covers and basically oil any parts that contact each other, slide, rotate etc. Look for little holes in the castings above shafts where you can drip in oil.

It may be just something optical but is the feed dog angled to the right? If it is rubbing the edges perhaps on the needle plate may cause some noise. I generally put a couple of drops of oil down into the hook bobbin case area between every 2 or 3 bobbin changes. You will note a quieter change every time you do this.

Ok thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’m about to oil it some now and RockyAussie I will check the feed dog as well! 

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

It may be just something optical but is the feed dog angled to the right? If it is rubbing the edges perhaps on the needle plate may cause some noise. I generally put a couple of drops of oil down into the hook bobbin case area between every 2 or 3 bobbin changes. You will note a quieter change every time you do this.

The feed dog was fine. I hear the noise even with it out.  I also oiled the bobbin case as you mention. I still feel something sounds different though. I remember how much I enjoyed running it (I like hearing sewing machines go lol) and I’m sure it sounds different. Just one of those things I guess.

There is quite a few spots to oil if you check the manual page 4 figure 8. http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/227R-2.pdf

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

There is quite a few spots to oil if you check the manual page 4 figure 8. http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/227R-2.pdf

Just in case you misunderstood, the Zoje 2628 is the machine I was trying to figure out how to oil. My consew 227 is no problem as it has the holes marked. The other guys mentioned the Zoje seems to be a high speed binding machine and it has some sort of window that tells me how much oil is in it. My problem was that I don’t have access to it besides taking the head off(which is heavy lol). Someone also mentioned that those machines normally have to be running at a certain speed to get that oil going where it needs. So, I’m trying to figure out how I can make sure it’s oiled properly since I won’t be sewing at high speeds and will need to it manually. But, the machine only has three holes at the top left area marked red. The other visible holes have screws in them. That’s it. 

I did understand that but as you mentioned the noise change on the Consew 227 I thought it may help if you checked out all of the different oiling points on it as per in the manual. 8 different points just around the cylinder bobbin case area. There is also some more up the top end under that cover if you have not noticed it in the diagram.

With the Zoje and any other self oiling machine I would recommend running them on high speed for a minute before starting your work. This will allow the oil to pump around and get the oil out and about to where it has to be. If after that, there appears to no oil getting around after an hour or so then you need to increase the oil flow which most machines will have a regulator somewhere to adjust this with. If you adjust too far you will have oil flying out everywhere and that's not desirable either.

Edited by RockyAussie
extra to put in

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

I did understand that but as you mentioned the noise change on the Consew 227 I thought it may help if you checked out all of the different oiling points on it as per in the manual. 8 different points just around the cylinder bobbin case area. There is also some more up the top end under that cover if you have not noticed it in the diagram.

With the Zoje and any other self oiling machine I would recommend running them on high speed for a minute before starting your work. This will allow the oil to pump around and get the oil out and about to where it has to be. If after that, there appears to no oil getting around after an hour or so then you need to increase the oil flow which most machines will have a regulator somewhere to adjust this with. If you adjust too far you will have oil flying out everywhere and that's not desirable either.

Oh Ok I see now.  Yes I will be sure to oil more places on my consew!  Ok thank you for that suggestion to run the machine at high speed before sewing.  I am really loving this machine.  It sews the binding with no problem other than operator error lol.  I will be finished with my first trial bag on it tomorrow and will post it in the thread I started about the binding attachment.  With the Zoje, I guess I need to put some shoes on (I sew shoeless lol.....I like to feel the pedal like when I drive a manual car....shoeless as well lol) and take the head off so I can put oil underneath where I think it goes. then run it on high speed to get it going.  I will let you know if oiling the consew some more helps.  How often should I oil the machines?