Sign in to follow this  
LeatherinCornwall

4500 making bottom loops every 4 or 5 stitches...

Hey guys, thought I might post a question, while I'm pulling my hair out....my 441 machine was running fine for heavier stuff, I made an effort to dumb it down a bit to fix a couple pairs of the wife's leather boots. It's fairly light leather plus a zipper where I need to sew.  So I changed to (I think) 92 thread for top and bottom, installed a 160 needle (smallest I have) and adjusted the tensions and spring per the tutorial here on the forum, and now no matter what I do, regardless of tension settings, I'm getting the top thread making a loop on the underside, on a regular basis, roughly every 3-5 stitches, and usually it snags and breaks the thread.  What it generally does, at the start of stitching, while I hold the top thread as usual, it's slack the first 3 stitches, then the machine starts pulling hard on the top thread in my hand, and one or 2 stitches later it bunches up a bit, and pops the thread on the underside.  I've adjusted top and bottom tensions till I'm blue in the face. I tried going up a couple sizes of top and bottom thread (192 I think?) and installing a 180 needle, and though it improved, when sewing a double thickness of 3 oz leather, it is still happening.Any thoughts?

Edited by LeatherinCornwall

Pics??

Either it's not threaded correctly or the top tension is too loose. So double check the threading first, when you know for sure it's right then tighten the top thread 1/2 a turn at a time until it stops.

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I found the problem, the top thread was pinching about every 4th or 5th stitch, causing the occasional loops.  Fixed now.