NeilMott

General Rivet questions (to make strap/belt keepers)

I've been experimenting with some old rifle slings to make watch straps and was hoping to use the keepers that came with the slings.  Unfortunately the straps tend to be too thick... I'm hoping to use some of the extra leather to replicate the keepers but I can't quite seem to figure out which type of rivet to use to get the same result and do so with a reasonable cost.  I don't want to spend $125 of a tool to make a few keepers...  as this is just an experiment.

Here is the stock keeper:

IMG_7897.JPG.c70e8f0d00d53d7b2f782e1b138ad485.JPGIMG_5293.JPG.3944a4f08c5f4d332198d3a28d865d1d.JPG

Looking at the buckleguy's site and watching videos, I need a single tap (or tubular rivet), but at the Buckleguy's site, it seems the bottom of the rivet would be a star shape and I am concerned it would catch the strap as it slides through.  As this space will be kinda tight, I'm also not sure how to be able to set the rivet without banging on the leather keeper itself.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Neil

The rivet you are showing in your photo is called a "single cap rivet". Here is one example sold by Springfield:

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Rivet-S-C-Np-Lg-100pk_2

I don't see any of this type on Buckleguy's website. You don't want the tubular style for the reason you stated. You might consider a "double cap rivet" if you would like the inside to have a more finished look.

One way to set them is to slip the keeper over the horn of a small anvil. Rest the base of the rivet on the horn. Or you could clamp a piece of steel between the jaws of a vice and slide the keeper over that.

I use loop irons for this purpose. They're basically just pieces of 1/4" strap iron of specific sizes with tapered ends. Push the rivets into the loop and slip the iron into the loop, then put on the anvil and tap the rivets closed.

thanks all.  Looks like I'll have to invest in some more tools.. ;-D