Crumble

Advice on second machine.

Hey guys!

I own a Cobra 3 sewing machine for medium to heavy duty work (knife sheathes/gun holsters), now I'm looking for a machine that can tackle the light to medium work. I want it to be able to sew thin leather projects, such as wallets, but also want to be able to sew thinner fabric like codura and ripstop nylon (think Maxpedition or Osprey backpacks). I'm looking really closely at the Cobra Class 18 because it is very similar (mechanically) to my Cobra 3, but designed for lighter weight materials. However, with a minimum of #69 thread, I'm wondering if it is still too heavy duty for the lighter stuff like codura and ripstop nylon packs. No idea what weight thread Maxpedition or Osprey use in their packs, lighter than #69?

I would love some advice. I really like the lifetime warranty that Cobra has, and the shop is about an hour drive away, so no shipping charge... but I'm starting to think all of their machines are too heavy duty for what I want in a second machine.

Budget is $2,000 or less.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Crumble

In my opinion, #69 thread is ideal for canvas and Cordura. I don't have experience with the Cobra 18 but consider a Juki dnu-1541s. I use it with #69 mostly, but I think it will sew with #46. Keystone has this machine for around 1700 shipped. Nice machine.

I have a CB4500 and  a Nakajima 341...i can do anything from #69 to a #346 thread . Cylinder arm is always a plus

I have a Techsew 2700 (I got used) that can handle from #46 through #138 thread (using appropriate needles). I'm sure that one of the Cobra walking foot machines will have similar specs. Have you contacted Team Cobra about your concerns?

I would arrange to drive there when they are open and bring your materials and thread with. If you, or they don't have #46 thread, buy a spool online and take it with you.

BTW: Some invisible monofilament thread is about the diameter of #46 bonded thread. I use a #14 needle when I sew with #46 thread.

So I was checking my local Craigslist and saw this machine. It is advertised as a Singer Sears Heavy Duty Industrial sewing machine. The golden badges on the front have been removed, so not such what model it is. Looks like a 111w153 or 111w155? 111w all look so similar, no idea what type it is. Definitely has walking foot. Anyone know what model this is?

It’s $350... wonder if I should just save a lot of money and get this for light weight work, or will I be disappointed with no reverse and having to get a servo motor?

E5C4A7F3-5FE6-4475-B3DC-344390D46EE5.jpeg

A3881F1D-C1E6-49F7-B7C9-FEC2D3C56F7E.jpeg

Edited by Crumble

maybe this Singer 111 sales brochure gives you an idea - try to compare the listed values (SPI, foot lift...) with the actual machine:

Download link:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=163742

Edited by Constabulary

Nice! I'm going to go check the machine out tomorrow, hopefully figure out what it is. Is $350 too much for a 111w155 in that condition?

Edited by Crumble

4 hours ago, Crumble said:

Nice! I'm going to go check the machine out tomorrow, hopefully figure out what it is. Is $350 too much for a 111w155 in that condition?

I'd say it's a fair price & what's nice you can still get parts for it unlike so many other old Singers.