YinTx

Free Jim Linnell Class in progress

I hope you all are aware of the free classes that Jim Linnell is putting on.  They are in several individual parts, and on Tandy's Facebook page.  He is going into a lot of detail about tooling and assembling a notepad cover with a pocket and pen holder.  There are some episodes that the audio is no good, but still worth watching him work up close.  He goes into detail about decorative cuts, understanding why he does the things he does, how to get good depth in your carving, etc. It is oriented to the very beginner leather worker, but I found a lot to garner from it.  I am using it to let the young one learn as well.  Here is the first piece I have tooled from his pattern, which is an internal pocket - on some pretty rough leather.  Yes, I know it has errors, but hey, this is for learning!  I'm off to touch one of them up...

YinTx

LinnellPocketLoRes.thumb.jpg.d6cf33a6b77f5aac5cbc6ce367923280.jpg

From one Texan to another, That looks dang good!

Appreciate it!  Stay safe out there in West Texas. If you are ever in the DFW area, look up Elktracks Studio, I've had the luxury of attending a one day class that he taught, time and $ very well spent.  Pretty much the extent of my instruction, the rest is pretty much self taught.

YinTx

Hi all.  I've been following his first class in late March.  I try to put in a little bit every night after WFH.  I'm ready to start dying today and I'm super excited.  I've really enjoyed watching a master and his stories are a lot of fun.  What a legend.  

JL

I meet Jim once a long time ago, don’t remember where, maybe at aTandy’s anyway he is a very nice guy! I’ve been doing this for a little over 60 years off and on and still learn something most everyday!  If you get to where you know it all about anything you are in trouble.

3 hours ago, Rhale said:

If you get to where you know it all about anything you are in trouble

Indeed.  I suspect there is enough info just in the tooling world of leather that I'll never learn let alone see it all!

Here is my progress for today.  Still debating how I want to color/antique it etc.

YinTx

LinnellPractice4LoRes.thumb.jpg.5b24ad408817c74e2f7d7c146c598572.jpg

Looks great,  I think antique is the only way to go but that’s just me!

@YinTx Love your little work rock.

Bert.